Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com> on 2015/04/08 19:07:11 UTC

Last failing tests remain to fix!

Hey all,

We are nearly there -- we are this close to a release!

We have only about 30 failing tests now in the core, and I'd like to push
hard during the next few days so we can get a beta out next week.

I'd appreciate your help with this!

I've narrowed down several failing tests that require some digging, if
folks can assign those to themselves and send us PRs fixing those tests,
that would help a lot!

1. Lucene.Net.Search.TestNumericRangeQuery32.TestInfiniteValues()
and Lucene.Net.Search.TestNumericRangeQuery64.TestInfiniteValues() --
specifically it seems like Double and Float NaNs are treated differently
between C# and Java and therefore the failing tests. Or there is a bug in
the inner implementation handling those queries.

2. TestLucene40DocValuesFormat has a few failing tests, probably exposing
data corruption in one of the codec components. I believe this is contained
in the 40DocValues tests so the scope isn't huge but I could be wrong.

3. TestLucene42DocValuesFormat has two tests failing with output of lines
like "Fail: frozenHash=182658 vs h=5124052". Something is off in computing
the hashes of the nodes, or maybe the node construction is faulty (which is
a serious bug). Hashing is done in Lucene.Net.Fst.NodeHash<T>, that'll be a
good starting point. Also see
https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/commit/ea7cfe6972972f91090d995c729689fff9a0f54c

4. There seem to be some concurrency issues with file handling, probably on
the part that is in charge of acquiring and releasing locks. In particular
see TestDocValuesFormat,
.TestShardSearching.TestSimple(),
TestBufferedIndexInput.TestSetBufferSize(),
TestLockFactory.TestStressLocks(),
TestLockFactory.TestStressLocksNativeFSLockFactory()

5. RegexpQuery seems to be broken, I believe the underlying automaton
implementation doesn't emit the terms correctly. See the failures in
TestRegexpQuery and TestRegexpRandom.

6. Similar but probably unrelated failing test is
at TestSpanMultiTermQueryWrapper.TestFuzzy2()

7. An interesting failure to investigate is here:
TestIndexableBinaryStringTools.TestEncodedSortability() -- probably a
simple porting fail, a subtle Java <--> C# mismatch that we haven't noticed.

Additionally, any help with porting the subprojects would be great. Some
folks took some subprojects under their wings and never reported back. If
you could either complete the work, or donate whatever you have done so
far, that would be great.

As always, get the code from here: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet --
work on your fork and send us a PR when ready, with a good description of
what you've done.

To see the list of currently failing tests in real-time, go here (you can
login as guest):
http://teamcity.codebetter.com/viewType.html?buildTypeId=LuceneNet_Core&branch_LuceneNet=%3Cdefault%3E&tab=buildTypeStatusDiv

Thanks, and happy searching,

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant

Re: Last failing tests remain to fix!

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
Thanks! just pinged her on Twitter

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.

Posted by Kevin Miller <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Miller <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
Try contacting Maarten, he should still be able to help

Nightly builds sounds good

Thanks!

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
Errr.. I mean Wyatt :)

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
Hi Wade, any luck?

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
inline

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
inline

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laimonas Simutis <la...@gmail.com>.
James,

As far as the failing tests go, the failures highlighted in this thread
have been fixed and we are now at 8 consistently failing tests. We were
running into some very odd floating point rounding issues but just had a
breakthrough and now can explain why 5 of those tests fail. The fixes will
be coming up shortly. So close....

Posted by James Lewis <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Lewis <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.  That's good to know. I'd offer to help if I wasn't busy myself.
Also, by the time I get up to speed with where you're at the thing will
probably be done.

Cheers,
James

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
They will.

Posted by James Lewis <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.

Posted by James Lewis <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
Status update:

We are down to about 20 failing tests (thanks Laimis!)

#1 + #2 are both fixed. Still more isolated tests left, and are up for
grabs.

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
Status update:

We are down to about 20 failing tests (thanks Laimis!)

#1 + #2 are both fixed. Still more isolated tests left, and are up for
grabs.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.