Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ameet Nanda <am...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/14 22:41:51 UTC

Question about shuffling top level directory

Hi,

I have a repository structure like:
*repos/ABC/trunk/abc/src*

I want to remove the trunk and get the structure to a form like
*repos/ABC/abc/src*

I know I can use svn move, but I want to keep the same revision number as of
now. Is there any smarter way to get rid of the trunk dir and make 'abc' go
one level up.

-Ameet

Re: Question about shuffling top level directory

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On 7/15/2010 9:54 AM, Bob Archer wrote:
>> I have a repository structure like:
>> repos/ABC/trunk/abc/src
>>
>> I want to remove the trunk and get the structure to a form like
>> repos/ABC/abc/src
>>
>> I know I can use svn move, but I want to keep the same revision
>> number as of now. Is there any smarter way to get rid of the trunk
>> dir and make 'abc' go one level up.
>>
>> -Ameet
>
> You can't change what is in the repository without committing it as a revision.
>
> Well... that's not strictly true... you can dump it, use dumpfilter, import it to a new path... but it doesn't seem worth it when a svn mv will do it in a few seconds.

Also, making a change but not changing the revision number doesn't make
any sense in the context of a revision control system.  It's there to
make sure you can get back both what you have now and the next thing you
do to it.  And if you want to think of revision numbers as something to
keep, you probably should be doing copies into a tags directory instead
of doing away with the trunk.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Question about shuffling top level directory

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Just make sure to change the UUID if you go the svndump* route.  Different
repositories should have different UUIDs.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.