Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl> on 2004/09/19 22:23:33 UTC

Re: cvs commit: xml-fop/src/java/org/apache/fop/fo CharIterator.java FOText.java OneCharIterator.java RecursiveCharIterator.java AbstractCharIterator.java

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 06:46:51PM -0000, gmazza@apache.org wrote:
> gmazza      2004/09/19 11:46:51
>
>   Modified:    src/java/org/apache/fop/area AreaTreeModel.java
>                         StorePagesModel.java
>                src/java/org/apache/fop/fo CharIterator.java FOText.java
>                         OneCharIterator.java RecursiveCharIterator.java
>   Removed:     src/java/org/apache/fop/fo AbstractCharIterator.java
>   Log:
>   1.)  Removed unused getTitle() within AreaTreeModel; I believe can be obtained
>   from fo.pagination.PageSequence object where needed.

PageSequence is an FO node. It can at best provide the title FO
node. getTitle() provides the Title area. Perhaps it is there for the
convenience of renderers?

>   2.)  Combined AbstractCharIterator and CharIterator interface into single
>   abstract CharIterator class.

Don't you believe in the separation of Interface and abstract
implementing superclass? If AbstractCharIterator adds nothing to the
interface, it is better to remove this abstract superclass. It does
implement a few methods, though.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Simon Pepping wrote:

>On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 06:46:51PM -0000, gmazza@apache.org wrote:
>

>>gmazza      2004/09/19 11:46:51
>>
>>  Modified:    src/java/org/apache/fop/area AreaTreeModel.java
>>                        StorePagesModel.java
>>               src/java/org/apache/fop/fo CharIterator.java FOText.java
>>                        OneCharIterator.java RecursiveCharIterator.java
>>  Removed:     src/java/org/apache/fop/fo AbstractCharIterator.java
>>  Log:
>>  1.)  Removed unused getTitle() within AreaTreeModel; I believe can be obtained
>>  from fo.pagination.PageSequence object where needed.
>>

>PageSequence is an FO node. It can at best provide the title FO
>node. getTitle() provides the Title area. Perhaps it is there for the
>convenience of renderers?

Good point--I just returned it.  (Although I would prefer moving the
title area calculation code from AreaTreeHandler to AreaTreeModel--I
would rather ATH not get burdened with this type of detail.)

>>  2.)  Combined AbstractCharIterator and CharIterator interface into single
>>  abstract CharIterator class.
>>

>Don't you believe in the separation of Interface and abstract
>implementing superclass? If AbstractCharIterator adds nothing to the
>interface, it is better to remove this abstract superclass. It does
>implement a few methods, though.

Most certainly, with LayoutManager and Renderer and in other advanced
instances.  Not in every possible theoretical case, however; I chose
simplicity here though due to the limited external usage and smallness
of the classes.

Glen