Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com> on 2008/12/18 11:09:59 UTC

contrib/ec2 USER_DATA not used

Hi,

can someone tell me what the variable USER_DATA in the launch-hadoop-
master is all about.
I cant see that it is reused in the script or any other script.
Isnt the way those parameters are passed to the nodes the
USER_DATA_FILE ?
The line is:
USER_DATA="MASTER_HOST=master,MAX_MAP_TASKS=
$MAX_MAP_TASKS,MAX_REDUCE_TASKS=$MAX_REDUCE_TASKS,COMPRESS=$COMPRESS"
Any hints?
Thanks,
Stefan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hadoop training and consulting
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
http://www.101tec.com

Re: contrib/ec2 USER_DATA not used

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Stefan,

The USER_DATA line is a hangover from the way that these parameters
used to be passed to the node. This line can safely be removed, since
the scripts now pass the data in the USER_DATA_FILE as you rightly
point out.

Tom