Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Johan Ruttens <jo...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/19 16:34:46 UTC

Integration test depending of Sling job

Hi,

I'm working on a (Adobe AEM) integration test, where the test methods
depend on a job being finished, before the methods can be executed with
success.

The scenario of the job is a follows:
1. Copy a page to be used as a test resource (using the PageManager.copy
method)
2. Trigger a job (using the JobManager.add method)
3. The job will alter some properties on the AEM page
4. Wait until the job has finished
5. Execute the tests to check if the properties have been changed correctly.

The problem is that the integration tests sometimes succeed and sometimes
they do not succeed (i.e. properties are not changed correctly).
I suspect this is caused by the way we check if the job is finished:

@Test
 public void testIfPageIsCorrectTranslated() throws LoginException,
RepositoryException, InterruptedException, WCMException {
        boolean finished = false;
        while (!finished) {
            Job runningJob = jobManager.getJobById(job.getId());
            finished = jobFinised(runningJob);
        }

}

private boolean jobFinised(final Job job) {
    return job == null || job.getJobState().equals(Job.JobState.SUCCEEDED)
            || job.getJobState().equals(Job.JobState.ERROR) ||
job.getJobState().equals(Job.JobState.STOPPED);
}

When I add a Thread.sleep(5000) after the while loop, all the tests succeed
all of the time.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Integration test depending of Sling job

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Johan Ruttens <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>... Basically I'm searching for a better way to determine when the job is
> finished....

I don't remember the details off the top of my head but I suppose OSGi
events are sent to indicate the job's progress - you can check at
/system/console/events and if you see useful events, using those
should be a better way to find out.

-Bertrand

Re: Integration test depending of Sling job

Posted by Johan Ruttens <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your response.
I think the null check on the job is indeed the problem.

I added this check, because it seems that when after the job is finished
(handled) it also becomes null, and I have no longer the possibility to
retrieve the jobState from this object.

So in the current code I cannot use the null check to determine if the job
has finished (as it might not be created yet), but if the job is already
finished and has become null I would need the null check.

Basically I'm searching for a better way to determine when the job is
finished.

Thanks

Johan

Posted by Stefan Egli <st...@apache.org>.