Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Manish Khettry <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/13 20:02:05 UTC

Mac OS Build failure.

This is a minor problem while building on Mac OS X 10.4

The build.xml file java/build/org/apache/derbyBuild refers to
tools.jar. There is no tools.jar in the Java Distribution on Mac OS X
(atleast on Tiger). The classes that you're looking for (Taglet etc)
are to be found in classes.jar. This causes the build to fail with
ClassNotFound exceptions.

The fix should be to add yet another ant property which can point to
the correct jar file depending on the os.

Thanks,
Manish

Re: Mac OS Build failure.

Posted by Manish Khettry <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 7/13/05, Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Manish Khettry wrote:
>
> 2) compile.classpath seems to point to java13compile.classpath. (I
> echoed the compile.classpath)
> BUILDING.txt section 5.1 suggests adding the following line to your
> ant.properties:
>
> compile.classpath=${java14compile.classpath}

Oops, I missed the last line when cutting/pasting from BUILDING.txt to
ant.properties. Sorry about that.

Re: Mac OS Build failure.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 13, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Manish Khettry wrote:

> 2) compile.classpath seems to point to java13compile.classpath. (I
> echoed the compile.classpath)

BUILDING.txt section 5.1 suggests adding the following line to your
ant.properties:

compile.classpath=${java14compile.classpath}

This ensures that the taglet classes are on the classpath for the
files in java/build.

I suppose a better solution than requiring that this line be added to
your ant.properties  would be to make the classpath for the java/
build compile reference java14compile.classpath instead of
compile.classpath. There is no reason why the files in java/build
need to built with the JDK 1.3 classes, and it would remove the need
to set compile.classpath to java14compile.classpath on the Mac.

andrew

Re: Mac OS Build failure.

Posted by Manish Khettry <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, I think I have the ant.property file setup correctly.

Anyway, here is what I see-- correct me if I'm wrong.

1)  This is the classpath tag in the <javac> task in
build/org/apache/derbyBuild.
          <pathelement
path="${compile.classpath};${java.home}/../lib/tools.jar"/>
2) compile.classpath seems to point to java13compile.classpath. (I
echoed the compile.classpath)
3) The classes.jar in the JDK13 distribution does not have the Taglet
classes but the 14 distribution does. I have a vanilla installation of
10.4.

Manish

Re: Mac OS Build failure.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.