Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1996/02/15 05:02:27 UTC

Re: this is no bug (fwd)

>  > http://www.opentext.com/otmkt/allprod.html#webserver
>  >
>  > The distributed software files themselves contain the Apache licence,
>  > but precious little credit is given to the Apache Group. I found
>  > nothing that even remotely respects clause 3 of your licence in the
>  > Open Text hype.
>
> *
> * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
> *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
> *    "This product includes software developed by the Apache Group
> *    for use in the Apache HTTP server project (http://www.apache.org/)."
> *
>
> looks clear to me. They're supposed to acknowledge Apache in the hype
> on the page referenced above.

Looks like a pretty blatent abuse of the license. They do say that
their server is compatible with Apache.... :-)

Re: this is no bug (fwd)

Posted by William Denton <bu...@io.org>.
Hi,

I'm afraid I haven't been able to get any contact addresses at Open
Text yet.  Two guys came to the office and left us with thousands of
dollars worth of software, but only one of them gave us a card and he
doesn't return his phone calls.  We still can't get the search engine
to do what we want.

Anyway, here's what it says in the monster Latitude manual:

There are numerous references to the "HTTP Daemon."  How do I change
the setup, etc.  They answer "How do I get more information" by
saying, "The HTTP Daemon ship [sic] is from the Apache Group.  See the
Web site at URL http://www.apache.org."  Then they go on to say it
will all work with any other server that supports CGI 1.0 or above,
like the Netscape servers, WebSite, NCSA, etc.

So, they certainly aren't fulfilling the agreement in the LICENSE
document, although they are in the same ballpark, at least.  If
someone wrote info@opentext.com and told them to get their act together
they might fix it up.

Cheers,

Bill
--------------
William Denton | <URL:http://www.io.org/~buff/> | buff@io.org | Caveat lector.
		    "Let's keep the party polite."

Re: this is no bug (fwd)

Posted by William Denton <bu...@io.org>.
On Wed, 14 Feb 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> > * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
> > *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
> > *    "This product includes software developed by the Apache Group
> > *    for use in the Apache HTTP server project (http://www.apache.org/)."
>
> Looks like a pretty blatent abuse of the license. They do say that
> their server is compatible with Apache.... :-)

Hi,

I usually just lurk here to keep an eye on what Apache's up to and to
try to follow what you guys are doing, but I may be able to help out a
bit on this.

I'm working on a project for an organization of municpalities here in
Ontario, Canada, and they have a ton - well, half a gig or so - or
text data that they want to make available to members; and of course
they want it searchable.  We were talking to the Open Text people a
couple of days ago about using their stuff, and they gave us a copy of
the Latitude server and the search engine so that we could drive it
around the block.  (The docs seem pretty poor, by the way.)

It does explicitly state someone near the front of the enormous manual
that this is the Apache web server, but I don't think it uses the
words given above.  I'll be down at the office in the next couple of
days and can see exactly what it says.  I will tell the rep we've been
dealing with about this, too, and I'll see if I can get an e-mail
address for whoever would be responsible and hopefully someone can
blast some sense into him.  They charge a lot of money for what they
sell and you folks should be getting more credit.

Cheers,

Bill

P.S.  The municipalities project is using the Netscape server, of
course, because they have to pay for it.  They didn't want to use
anything free.
William Denton | <URL:http://www.io.org/~buff/> | buff@io.org | Caveat lector.
    "All the monkeys aren't in a zoo ... every day you meet quite a few."