Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Nicholas Hughes <ni...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/03 19:56:15 UTC

"Insecure" NiFi 1.0.0 UI w/ SSL

In previous versions, it was possible to run the UI over HTTPS without
configuring users. In the most recent 0.x versions, I believe this was
accomplished through setting a "default" role for the Anonymous user in the
properties file.

How is this done in 1.x? I've been reading through the Admin Guide and
playing with different settings, but I still can't seem to access the UI
anonymously over HTTPS. The most promising mention in the guide points
toward emptying the truststore properties:

"nifi.security.truststore - Filename of the Truststore that will be used to
authorize those connecting to NiFi. If not set, all who attempt to connect
will be provided access as the *Anonymous* user."

Given the past versions' expectation that the Anonymous user be defined a
role, I'm guessing that's the part that I'm missing. The properties file no
longer has a placeholder for setting the default role, so I assume that
function has moved into the new "authorizations" and/or "users" XML
files... but I'm not certain how to "hand jam" the proper information into
those files (or if that's even possible).

Any assistance in setting up anonymous UI access over SSL is appreciated.

-Nick

Re: "Insecure" NiFi 1.0.0 UI w/ SSL

Posted by Matt Gilman <ma...@gmail.com>.
For authorization it is not possible. If you implemented a custom authorizer that supported anonymous access that portion would be possible. No authorizer in 1.0.0 supported this.

For authentication it is possible but it's not as clear as it should be. Enabling username/password or kerb SPNEGO would support want client auth. However, these shouldn't need to be enable to achieve what your looking for. That's why I added the comment to the JIRA.

Can you please add some commentary to the JIRA to describe you use case a bit further? With component based authorization, what sort of access are you interested in providing to anonymous users?

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my iPhone

Re: "Insecure" NiFi 1.0.0 UI w/ SSL