Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andy Barnett <ab...@cantilevertech.com> on 2003/08/06 17:23:24 UTC

Origins of Geronimo

What do you mean "also politically incorrect"? Is naming a project after
something you yell when you jump out of a plane politically incorrect??

As for the origin of yelling "Geronimooo!" when jumping from a plane,
see this:

http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/bulletin_board/2/messages/175.html

Personally, I think it is a very appropriate name in that context.

I think someone mentioned the potential difficulties with Manger-types
not liking the name. Frankly, I cringe every time I have to pronounce
"Xerces" and "Xalan" when I explain what XML technologies my software
utilizes, so "Geronimo" is no more out-there than some other things I
use everyday.

On the other hand, "Apache Geronimo", while actually historically
accurate (Geronimo really was an Apache indian), it just feels
politically incorrect from a Native American standpoint.

Cheers,
~Andy

Re: Origins of Geronimo

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <Ri...@Monson-Haefel.com>.
How on earth is Geronimo politically incorrect? The Apache project honors a
great people. Geronimo honors one of their great leaders. If you want to
understand why Geronimo was a great man, read about him. I think once you do
you'll change your mind.

Andy Barnett wrote:

> What do you mean "also politically incorrect"? Is naming a project after
> something you yell when you jump out of a plane politically incorrect??
>
> As for the origin of yelling "Geronimooo!" when jumping from a plane,
> see this:
>
> http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/bulletin_board/2/messages/175.html
>
> Personally, I think it is a very appropriate name in that context.
>
> I think someone mentioned the potential difficulties with Manger-types
> not liking the name. Frankly, I cringe every time I have to pronounce
> "Xerces" and "Xalan" when I explain what XML technologies my software
> utilizes, so "Geronimo" is no more out-there than some other things I
> use everyday.
>
> On the other hand, "Apache Geronimo", while actually historically
> accurate (Geronimo really was an Apache indian), it just feels
> politically incorrect from a Native American standpoint.
>
> Cheers,
> ~Andy
>
> On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 10:15, Danny Angus wrote:
> > > Isn't Geronimo something you yell when you jump out of a
> > > plane?
> >
> > By which token Banzai! would also be politically incorrect.. ;-)
> >
> > d.

Richard Monson-Haefel
Author of J2EE Web Services (Addison-Wesley 2003)
Author of Enterprise JavaBeans, 3rd Edition  (O'Reilly 2001)
Co-Author of Java Message Service (O'Reilly 2000)
http://www.Monson-Haefel.com