Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/07/23 11:06:20 UTC

What about additional community services?

As some know, I have put a service based on Ant on my server that weekly
downloads from Bugzilla the patches of Cocoon, formats them in text, and
sends them to the mailing list. This makes it easy to keep track of what
is happening with patches.

Some have asked that I move this to Apache CVS+hardware, and I agree. In
fact I'd like to switch to python as it makes more sense and I can run
it on Apache HW with no problem.

The question is: where to put it?
How to set it up?
Does it make sense to put it in the Gump script invocations?

Please help, TIA

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: What about additional community services?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 24/07/2003 10.58:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>I mean, would it pertain to Gump to have code that does nagging that
>>is not necessarily related to building something?
>
> In a certain sense it already does when a build contains checkstyle
> reports and style violations have been detected (see the last few
> cactus builds, for example).
>
> So, it could be in scope of Gump, I'm not sure.  It sounds a bit like
> stretching Gump to do more than just building stuff.

Well, if Gump is about building stuff, it is stretching.

What made me have this thought is that Gump comes out of Alexandria with
the idea of CI, Continuous Integration.

IMHO Continuous Integration is not only about building but also
"nagging", but again, this is still not a decisive argument.

> Haven't those "additional community services" been a goal of Forrest
> when it was started?

Now you get "nasty" ;-P

In reality, Forrest has shallowed the scope a bit, and that has helped
us go forward. Now the goal is simply making sites.

But if we get this a bit further, even Gump should remain in scope and
keep only the build stuff.

Probably the conclusion of this discussion is that "community services"
is not part of Gump or Forrest or any other project, and I should
probably put it somewhere else.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> I mean, would it pertain to Gump to have code that does nagging that
> is not necessarily related to building something?

In a certain sense it already does when a build contains checkstyle
reports and style violations have been detected (see the last few
cactus builds, for example).

So, it could be in scope of Gump, I'm not sure.  It sounds a bit like
stretching Gump to do more than just building stuff.

Haven't those "additional community services" been a goal of Forrest
when it was started?

Stefan

Re: What about additional community services?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 23/07/2003 17.32:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>I mean the actual ant buildfile, the xslt file, the jtidy task...
>
> My time to say "now I get it".

ROTFL!!! (I feel a less moronic now, I guess it's normal)

> I've no idea what exactly your piece of software does and how good/bad
> it applies to projects other than Cocoon.

Well, it sends mails like this every week:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users@xml.apache.org/msg26678.html

> In Ant land a patch is not really an outstanding patch just because it
> lives in bugzilla.  There are numerous reports that nobody will ever
> expect to be considered, much less committed.  Other projects may have
> different approaches.

Well, the question is: is this relevant to Gump?

I mean, would it pertain to Gump to have code that does nagging that is
not necessarily related to building something?

I have no problem either if it stays here or goes somewhere else, as
Gump would run it nevertheless, I just wanted to see what others think.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 23/07/2003 12.17:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> what I proposed is that you don't add a pointer to your new
> project definition into jakarta-gump/profile/gump.xml.  It would be
> sufficient to reference it in jakarta-gump/gump.xml to have your
> report generated and sent by the Gump run on the covalent machine (or
> any other workspace corresponding to a specific Gump instance).

Ok, now I get it  B-)

>>and where would I put the project files, in a subdir of Gump? In the
>>python dir?
>
> As a corollary of my first paragraph, into jakarta-gump/projects.

I mean the actual ant buildfile, the xslt file, the jtidy task...

It's so frustrating when I'm not able to express myself well enough in
mail :-( , sorry and TIA

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hmmm, the Gump run would have to be this anyway. I can add a check
> then that we are sending from the main Gump server, or check for an
> env.variable...

I was talking about the shell script and XSLT based Gump as I have no
idea about the status of the Python version (I still haven't found the
time to even start looking into Python, C# seems far more likely from
my real-world-job hacking perspective).

With that, what I proposed is that you don't add a pointer to your new

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 23/07/2003 11.18:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>Does it make sense to put it in the Gump script invocations?
>
> I don't think that you'd want to get the same mails sent from
> gump.covalent.net, nagoya, Leo's lsd and my non-public machine every
> night 8-)

Why not? B->

> As such, it would probably be easy to add it as a project definition,
> but keep it out of the default profile.  You could then add it to the
> workspace of the specific Gump run that is supposed to send the mail.

Hmmm, the Gump run would have to be this anyway. I can add a check then
that we are sending from the main Gump server, or check for an
env.variable... and where would I put the project files, in a subdir of
Gump? In the python dir?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 24/07/2003 15.14:

> On Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003, at 04:06 America/Guayaquil, Nicola Ken
> Barozzi wrote:
>

>> As some know, I have put a service based on Ant on my server that
>> weekly downloads from Bugzilla the patches of Cocoon, formats them in
>> text, and sends them to the mailing list. This makes it easy to keep
>> track of what is happening with patches.
>>
>> Some have asked that I move this to Apache CVS+hardware, and I agree.
>> In fact I'd like to switch to python as it makes more sense and I can
>> run it on Apache HW with no problem.
>>
>> The question is: where to put it?
>
> what about the "tools" directory on the cocoon CVS?

Well it *was* there, and also in build.xml for quite some time, but
nobody cared. So I rmed it (IIRC it was also part of your spring
cleaning program, but I could be wrong)

> or maybe a cocoon-site/ module.

Other Apache projects have asked me if it's possible to set it up.

>> How to set it up?
>
> a cron job on icarus?

It's in Java (Ant), can I run it there?

>> Does it make sense to put it in the Gump script invocations?
>
> not sure, what are the pro/cons?

Well, there has been a discussion on the gump list following this mail.
The outcome is that it's probably not part of Gump.

It's a bit like your Agora or the Apache map, or Vadim's stats, all
useful services for the community but no place to be.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Barozzi wrote:

> As some know, I have put a service based on Ant on my server that
> weekly downloads from Bugzilla the patches of Cocoon, formats them in
> text, and sends them to the mailing list. This makes it easy to keep
> track of what is happening with patches.
>
> Some have asked that I move this to Apache CVS+hardware, and I agree.
> In fact I'd like to switch to python as it makes more sense and I can
> run it on Apache HW with no problem.
>
> The question is: where to put it?

what about the "tools" directory on the cocoon CVS?

or maybe a cocoon-site/ module.

> How to set it up?

a cron job on icarus?

--