Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Jacob Singh <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/29 18:50:50 UTC

Saving aggregate date to csv over many test runs

Hi,

I'm using paramaterized launches to stress test my application because
I have to run it from a remote server, and therefor changing the value
is a pain the arse.
So I've setup a little script which also outputs listeners to a
different directory each time (by date).  This works good, I rsync
them down to my box and then I import them.

Now I've been running so many tests, it's getting hard to actually
analyze the data effectively.  I'd like a csv file with the aggregate
report like this:

testname | average | median | etc..

so that I could pass in a var call "testname" into the script (which
would have some identifying info like # of threads, etc), and have it
append the aggregate data to my existing file.

Is there any sane way to do this?  some other alternative which may
not be as nice, bur pretty close?

Can I make the aggregate report save itself as CSV so that I can at
least do some manual post processing on it?

Thanks!
Jacob

--

+1 510 277-0891 (o)
+91 9999 33 7458 (m)

web: http://pajamadesign.com

Skype: pajamadesign
Yahoo: jacobsingh
AIM: jacobsingh
gTalk: jacobsingh@gmail.com

Re: Saving aggregate date to csv over many test runs

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29/09/2008, Jacob Singh <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I'm using paramaterized launches to stress test my application because
>  I have to run it from a remote server, and therefor changing the value
>  is a pain the arse.

You can use the -G option to define variables that are sent to the servers:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/get-started.html#override

>  So I've setup a little script which also outputs listeners to a
>  different directory each time (by date).  This works good, I rsync
>  them down to my box and then I import them.
>
>  Now I've been running so many tests, it's getting hard to actually
>  analyze the data effectively.  I'd like a csv file with the aggregate
>  report like this:
>
>  testname | average | median | etc..
>
>  so that I could pass in a var call "testname" into the script (which
>  would have some identifying info like # of threads, etc), and have it
>  append the aggregate data to my existing file.

You can add arbitrary variable values to the JTL files - just define
the variable  sample_variables:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/listeners.html#sample_variables

>  Is there any sane way to do this?  some other alternative which may
>  not be as nice, bur pretty close?
>
>  Can I make the aggregate report save itself as CSV so that I can at
>  least do some manual post processing on it?

Unfortunately not.

You can save the on-screen table by pressing the button, but there's
currently no way to have this happen automatically at the end of a
test run.

BTW, Summary Report uses less memory than Aggregate Report - if you
don't need the median & 90% details.