Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Brian Hurt <bh...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/02 14:47:23 UTC

having create copy the directory on non-cloud solr

I seem to recall somewhere in the documention that the create function on
non-cloud solr doesn't copy the config files in, you have to copy them in
by hand.  Is this correct?  If so, can anyone point me to where in the docs
it says this, and if there are any plans to change this?  Thanks.

Brian

Re: having create copy the directory on non-cloud solr

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 8/2/2013 6:47 AM, Brian Hurt wrote:
> I seem to recall somewhere in the documention that the create function on
> non-cloud solr doesn't copy the config files in, you have to copy them in
> by hand.  Is this correct?  If so, can anyone point me to where in the docs
> it says this, and if there are any plans to change this?  Thanks.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin#CREATE

"Creates a new core based on preexisting
instanceDir/solrconfig.xml/schema.xml, and registers it."

The wording is a little awkward, if I can come up with something that's
better, I'll edit the page.

It looks like the Solr Reference Guide doesn't say this, which means it
needs an update.  This is expected to be the official documentation
going forward:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/CoreAdminHandler+Parameters+and+Usage#CoreAdminHandlerParametersandUsage-{{CREATE}}

There is some push to change how this works for non-cloud installs.
Ideas currently on the table that I've seen:

1) Have a disk-based equivalent of SolrCloud's config sets, where the
config set name is something that's in the core.properties file.

2) Use zookeeper collections and config sets for all installations, even
those that are not technically considered "cloud."

If either of these ideas becomes reality in the near future, it will
probably be an optional mode in a 4.x release and mandatory in 5.0.

Thanks,
Shawn