Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jürgen Kraus <ju...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/08 18:18:47 UTC

CouchDB C API

Guys/gals,

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Getting_started_with_C states that to use this
API, you just have to

cd /home/user/couchdb/CouchProjects/Libraries/c/src/
make
make install (as root)

So far, so good, so - what? There is no such thing as 'CouchProjects', not even
a home directory for the (non-interactive) couchdb account. I'm using 0.11.0
built from the source tarball on FreeBSD 8.0. Searching the internet for
anything related to 'CouchProjects' came up with no useful results (same for
"libcouchdb.h"), and checking older versions of CouchDB (back to
0.80.0-incubating) also did not offer any further insight. Is that beast still
supported at all? Or is the wiki page simply obsolete and I should better not
even think about pursuing that path any further?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jürgen

Re: CouchDB C API

Posted by Rodrigo Moya <ro...@canonical.com>.
On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 17:03 +0000, Jürgen Kraus wrote:
> Rodrigo Moya <ro...@...> writes:
>

> > On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 16:18 +0000, Jürgen Kraus wrote:
> > > Guys/gals,
> > >
> > > http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Getting_started_with_C states that to use this
> > > API, you just have to
> > >
> > > cd /home/user/couchdb/CouchProjects/Libraries/c/src/
> > > make
> > > make install (as root)
> > >
> > > So far, so good, so - what? There is no such thing as 'CouchProjects' [...]
> > not sure what's the status of that project, but last time I looked, it
> > was almost dead. So I'd suggest you use the couchdb-glib library, which
> > is in C also:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/couchdb-glib
> >
> > latest releases are at
> > http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/couchdb-glib/0.6/
> >
> > it's the best C library for couchdb you can find :)
>
> Rodrigo,
>
> thank you, trying to build right now ;o)
>
> Let's see if can get all dependencies resolved for FreeBSD...

AFAIK FreeBSD should already have ports for all the dependencies, which
are part of GNOME. If not, just get the sources from
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/

>  BTW, is there a
> significant difference between 'libsoup-gnome-2.4' and 'libsoup-2.4'?

libsoup-gnome is an extension of libsoup with some GNOME-related things,
like proxy settings from the GNOME control center, etc. So you need both
of them

>  And I
> assume 'uuid' is not really Gnome specific?

no, it's good old libuuid, should be available in FreeBSD

Re: CouchDB C API

Posted by Jürgen Kraus <ju...@gmail.com>.
Rodrigo Moya <ro...@...> writes:

> On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 16:18 +0000, Jürgen Kraus wrote:
> > Guys/gals,
> >
> > http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Getting_started_with_C states that to use this
> > API, you just have to
> >
> > cd /home/user/couchdb/CouchProjects/Libraries/c/src/
> > make
> > make install (as root)
> >
> > So far, so good, so - what? There is no such thing as 'CouchProjects' [...]
> not sure what's the status of that project, but last time I looked, it
> was almost dead. So I'd suggest you use the couchdb-glib library, which
> is in C also:
>
> https://launchpad.net/couchdb-glib
>
> latest releases are at
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/couchdb-glib/0.6/
>
> it's the best C library for couchdb you can find :)

Rodrigo,

thank you, trying to build right now ;o)

Let's see if can get all dependencies resolved for FreeBSD... BTW, is there a
significant difference between 'libsoup-gnome-2.4' and 'libsoup-2.4'? And I
assume 'uuid' is not really Gnome specific?

Thanks again,

Jürgen

Re: CouchDB C API

Posted by Rodrigo Moya <ro...@canonical.com>.