Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Federico Spinazzi <f....@masterhouse.it> on 2003/12/17 14:29:38 UTC

why repository is set per user?

Hy,
second question in too little time, sorry.

I'd like to know which is the reason maven rc1 uses a per user
repository by default.
It seems like a vaste of space as each user have his own repository.
There should be a good reason but I cannot understand it.
Thank you very much
Federico

Re: RE : why repository is set per user?

Posted by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com>.
I have gotten around this with a soft link (symbolic link).
Create a directory, /usr/maven_repository/.

Then, give each user a ~/.maven directory that is a pointer
to the main repository.

I know its not the best solution, but it is pretty easy.
Or, you can specify it in the project.properties.  That's
a little bit better if you don't want to be OS dependent.

Charlie

Posted by Xavier RODRIGUEZ <xa...@inexbee.com>.
I agree with you Loic!

--
Loïc Minier <lo...@dooz.org>

Re: why repository is set per user?

Posted by Loïc Minier <lo...@via.ecp.fr>.

Re: [maven] Re: why repository is set per user?

Posted by Federico Spinazzi <f....@masterhouse.it>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 08:29, Federico Spinazzi wrote:
>

>[..]
>I can't say I understand your question, what other possibilities are
>there for a single user on a single machine?

Jason,
it looks like in beta-9 the repository was %MAVEN_HOME%/repository so by
default it was shared by all the users on the same computer.
Now rc1 uses the user.home system property, not too friendly in windows
as it has an awful name (c:\documents and settings\user) and doesn't map
to the HOME directory but to the USERPROFILE one.
Friendliness is not the point, the point is that each user has a copy of
the repository.
The solution used in beta-9 is better, IMHO.

Thanks,
Federico

Re: why repository is set per user?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 08:29, Federico Spinazzi wrote:
> Hy,
> second question in too little time, sorry.
>
> I'd like to know which is the reason maven rc1 uses a per user
> repository by default.

You mean a local repository?

> It seems like a vaste of space as each user have his own repository.

In the vast majority of cases Maven is used on a single machine by a
sinlge user. But imagine a single user with 100 projects on their
machine where many of the projects use the same JARs. You save quite a
bit of space.

> There should be a good reason but I cannot understand it.

I can't say I understand your question, what other possibilities are
there for a single user on a single machine?

> Thank you very much
> Federico

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [maven] Re: why repository is set per user?

Posted by Federico Spinazzi <f....@masterhouse.it>.
Charles-Alexandre Sabourdin wrote:

>I desagree with you on that point there is two repository.
>One per user where all jars (for every project) are store
>and one repository on a web server (maven jar:deploy.)
>
>To me this allow a regular separation of user préférences and project.
>Anyway you can still overload this in your ~/build.properties
>
>I personnaly have a 15 Mo repository, that does not seems to big, but this is
>a personnal point of view.

Charles-Alexandre,
I agree with you.
My point is that I would like to share the same local repository between
many users.
The issue popped out when I tryes to make the repository ued by my
beta-9 installation to rc1, in order to avoid a new download of a quite
huge repository.

Thanks for your attention.
Federico

Posted by Charles-Alexandre Sabourdin <ka...@dedaletechnology.com>.
I desagree with you on that point there is two repository.
One per user where all jars (for every project) are store
and one repository on a web server (maven jar:deploy.)

To me this allow a regular separation of user préférences and project.
Anyway you can still overload this in your ~/build.properties

I personnaly have a 15 Mo repository, that does not seems to big, but this is
a personnal point of view.

Le Mercredi 17 Décembre 2003 14:29, Federico Spinazzi a écrit :
> Hy,
> second question in too little time, sorry.
>
> I'd like to know which is the reason maven rc1 uses a per user
> repository by default.
> It seems like a vaste of space as each user have his own repository.
> There should be a good reason but I cannot understand it.
> Thank you very much
> Federico

Charles-Alexandre
SABOURDIN

RE: why repository is set per user?

Posted by Alexei Barantsev <ba...@ispras.ru>.
Hi,

I know one good reason why local repository is set per user, and if I
remember history it was the main reason why this change was implemented
since beta-9.

The matter is that local repository contains not only external depencencies
of a project you develop. It contains also the developed artifact that might
be in inconsistent state - artifact:install puts them into local repository.
Morover, you can't avoid that if you use reactored build process - artifacts
created in a subproject should be installed into the local repository to
become visible to other subprojects.

So separation of users' local repositories prevents conflicts when several
persons work on the same project in parallel. Especially if you use
SNAPSHOT's in your projects' dependencies.

But even keeping all this in mind, it would be reasonable to share part of
the local repository that contains only external dependencies. I suggested
the concepts of "three repos - remote, shared, local" instead of the current
"two repos - remote local" while ago. Henning suggested it too and he even
provided a patch that was not accepted (see
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=dev@maven.apache.org&msg
No=695.

Probably it is the time to recover this issue again?

--
Alexei Barantsev, ISP RAS
E-mail: barancev@ispras.ru