Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by scarter <sc...@tsys.com> on 2003/05/28 16:48:30 UTC

Mail Application

I am considering using either James or large commercial package to do
email notifications to users of my application.  My anticipated
bandwidth is about 1 million emails per month.  The catch is that I have
to be able to handle emails that are bounced back to the server for
whatever reason and try to send them again.  How would I implement this
in James?

Your help would be much appreciated.

-SC

RE: Mail Application

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> My anticipated bandwidth is about 1 million emails per month.

James can easily handle that load.

> The catch is that I have to be able to handle emails that are bounced
> back to the server for whatever reason and try to send them again.
> How would I implement this in James?

I know that there are some custom apps already doing that.  There isn't much
code in the James release today that would do it automatically, but it could
be done.  Basically, you encode the information in the return-path, and then
resend the message based upon the return.

See: http://cr.yp.to/proto/verp.txt

There are plans to add VERP support.  We already have all of the necessary
tools; they just need to be strung together.

	--- Noel