Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de> on 2007/04/12 22:19:09 UTC

[configuration] 1.4 dependency in PropertyListParser.java

The latest commit [1] introduced a dependency to JDK 1.4: The
initCause() method of Exception is not available in JDK 1.3. (I found
this because I use to compile with JDK 1.3 by default and got two
compile errors.)

Oliver

[1]
r527436 | ebourg | 2007-04-11 11:57:29 +0200 (Mi, 11 Apr 2007) | 1 line

Implemented the GNUStep extension for plist files to specify date bjects
(CONFIGURATION-261)

Re: [configuration] 1.4 dependency in PropertyListParser.java

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Oliver Heger a écrit :

> I agree with using Java 5 for version 2.0. About switching to JDK 1.4 I
> am not sure. I think we should do this switch as late as possible. I.e.
> as long as no specific 1.4 features are needed for the fixes and
> features we implement, we should stay with 1.3.
>
> I remember a posting on this list shortly before the Configuration 1.3
> release, in which the author made clear that he still needs JDK 1.3
> support.

On the other hand there are people requesting features that will require
Java 1.4 like the Preferences integration. I see 2 solutions to satisfy
everyone:

1. release a last Java 1.3 version and support it as long as possible by
backporting the bug fixes. That may be a 1.4.x branch.

2. implement the new classes with Java 1.4 but keep the existing code
compatible with Java 1.3. The build may be difficult to manage with this
mixed approach, we will need 2 compilation procedures, one with the JDK
1.3 excluding the new classes, and one with the JDK 1.4 with all classes.

One of my hopes on moving to Java 1.4 is to remove the core dependency
on [collections]. We need it mainly for the LinkedMap and the
ListOrderedSet, instead of these classes we could use the Java 1.4
alternatives. The other usages of [collections] are less critical and
could be implemented differently. Removing this dependency will not be
possible with the second solution though.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [configuration] 1.4 dependency in PropertyListParser.java

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> My bad sorry, I'll fix this.
>
> This might be the opportunity to discuss the JRE requirement for the
> next releases. What version do we use (1.4 or 5) and when ? I believe
> it's too early to go directly to Java 5, on the server side JEE 5 is not
> widely adopted yet (BEA just released WebLogic 10), and on the client
> side there are still a lot of OS X users that haven't upgraded to Tiger
> (10.4).
>
> I would suggest moving to Java 1.4 for a release in the near future
> (configuration 1.5 or 1.6) and then jump to Java 5 for the next major
> release (2.0) involving a deep refactoring of the component.

I agree with using Java 5 for version 2.0. About switching to JDK 1.4 I
am not sure. I think we should do this switch as late as possible. I.e.
as long as no specific 1.4 features are needed for the fixes and
features we implement, we should stay with 1.3.

I remember a posting on this list shortly before the Configuration 1.3
release, in which the author made clear that he still needs JDK 1.3 support.

> Even with a version requiring Java 5, I think we should still support
> the latest pre Java 5 version by fixing the major bugs reported. Thus we
> will not force people to upgrade, there will still be a great version
> compatible with Java 1.3/1.4 around, and people with Java 5 will enjoy
> an even better version.

+1

> Emmanuel Bourg

Oliver

<snip/>

Re: [configuration] 1.4 dependency in PropertyListParser.java

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
My bad sorry, I'll fix this.