Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/28 04:55:10 UTC

Download your favorite JDK from NetBeans was: Zulu with NetBeans

- sobota 27. června 2020 10:06:56 CEST, Geertjan Wielenga -
> Azul would most likely want to include functionality for selecting, using,
> and updating Zulu from within their bundle of NetBeans. I.e., so that when
> Java development is done in the NetBeans bundled with Zulu, the developer
> can choose Zulu and also keep their Zulu install updated.

I was planning to enhance the Tools/Java Platforms/Add Platform wizard with an
option to download, install and register GraalVM. It would be the best way of
running non-browser JavaScript in the JVM at full speed. Especially now, when
nashorn has been removed: https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2106

Unless I am mistaken there already is an API for hooking into the Java
Platform creation wizard: https://bits.netbeans.org/12.0/javadoc/org-netbeans-modules-java-platform-ui/org/netbeans/spi/java/platform/
GeneralPlatformInstall.html and registering own platform. I assume Azul could
use it as well.

I envision such wizards being part of the standard Apache NetBeans builds.
GraalVM is the fastest open source Java out there and Zulu is the most easily
obtainable build of OpenJDK I know. Making them easily reachable is a service
to our users, right?

-jt

Re: Download your favorite JDK from NetBeans was: Zulu with NetBeans

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. Having seen a similiar feature in IntelliJ I already thought of
somethong similiar..If there is already a starting point inside the java
platform wizard this seems the way to go.

Sven

Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> schrieb am So., 28. Juni 2020,
23:24:

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.