Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2006/12/01 06:13:46 UTC

Something is up with jee-specs config

I keep getting this on a clean build:

<snip>
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
Missing:
----------
1) org.apache.geronimo.configs:geronimo-gbean-deployer:car:2.0-SNAPSHOT
   Then, install it using the command:
       mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.configs
-DartifactId=geronimo-gbean-deployer \
           -Dversion=2.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=car -Dfile=/path/to/file
   Path to dependency:
   	1) org.apache.geronimo.configs:jee-specs:car:2.0-SNAPSHOT
   	2) org.apache.geronimo.configs:geronimo-gbean-deployer:car:2.0-
SNAPSHOT
----------
1 required artifact is missing.
for artifact:
   org.apache.geronimo.configs:jee-specs:car:2.0-SNAPSHOT
from the specified remote repositories:
   apache.snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-
repository),
   codehaus (http://repository.codehaus.org),
   apache-snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-
repository),
   codehaus-snapshots (http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org)
[INFO]
</snip>

Also, the name is a tad odd...  the module is "jee-specs", but the
name is "Geronimo Configs :: J2EE 1.4 specs", not what I would expect.

Neways, looks like a dependency mismatch of somekind... as "Geronimo
Configs :: J2EE 1.4 specs" builds right after "Geronimo Configs" not
giving the gbean deployer config a chance to be built yet.

:-(

--jason

Re: Something is up with jee-specs config

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
The problem here is that the dependencies on the deployers which the
car plugins use are not part of the reactor's list of dependencies
implicitly.  So each car module needs to explicitly depend on the
config of its deployer or mvn will build things out of order.

This will bite you more if you use clean repos, as once the artifact
is in a repo, the build order bug will not surface.  Another reason I
love mvn so much.

Anyways, the automated builds I am running (more about that later)
all run from clean repos, so it catches these.

--jason

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Dec 1, 2006, at 6:03 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:

>   I had used maven's natural lexical sorting order and 'provided'
> scope
> to make sure that the configs were built in the correct order. The
> provided scope was ignored by the car plugin. What mechanism is used
> now to enforce the build order?

AFAICT you need to include at least the "leaf"  builder configs you
use as "provided" dependencies" as well as included in the car-maven-
plugin configuration in order to assure correct build order.  I don't
think anything else is needed, but it's difficult to tell if maven
happens to build things in a working order.

By "leaf" I mean that all the other builders needed are (transitive)
dependencies of the leaf builders.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
  I had used maven's natural lexical sorting order and 'provided' scope
to make sure that the configs were built in the correct order. The
provided scope was ignored by the car plugin. What mechanism is used
now to enforce the build order?

Thanks
Anita

--- Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:

> I keep getting this on a clean build:
>
> <snip>
> [INFO]

> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]

> [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
> Missing:
> ----------
> 1)
> org.apache.geronimo.configs:geronimo-gbean-deployer:car:2.0-SNAPSHOT
>    Try downloading the file manually from the project website.
>    Then, install it using the command:
>        mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.configs
>
> -DartifactId=geronimo-gbean-deployer \
>            -Dversion=2.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=car
> -Dfile=/path/to/file
>    Path to dependency:
>    	1) org.apache.geronimo.configs:jee-specs:car:2.0-SNAPSHOT
>    	2) org.apache.geronimo.configs:geronimo-gbean-deployer:car:2.0-
> SNAPSHOT
> ----------
> 1 required artifact is missing.
> for artifact:
>    org.apache.geronimo.configs:jee-specs:car:2.0-SNAPSHOT
> from the specified remote repositories:
>    central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
>    apache.snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-
> repository),
>    codehaus (http://repository.codehaus.org),
>    apache-snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-
> repository),
>    codehaus-snapshots (http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org)
> [INFO]

> </snip>
>
> Also, the name is a tad odd...  the module is "jee-specs", but the
> name is "Geronimo Configs :: J2EE 1.4 specs", not what I would
> expect.
>
> Neways, looks like a dependency mismatch of somekind... as "Geronimo
>
> Configs :: J2EE 1.4 specs" builds right after "Geronimo Configs" not
>
> giving the gbean deployer config a chance to be built yet.
>
> :-(
>
> --jason

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com