Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/03 18:16:26 UTC

start-indent for line-areas

Hi All,

Hem, once again :-\

In section 4.5 of the spec it is written that, for a line-area, the
start-edge of its allocation-rectangle is offset from the start-edge of
the content-rectangle of the nearest ancestor reference-area by the sum
of its start-indent and start-intrusion-adjustment.

The start- and end-edges of the allocation-rectangle are the same,
whichever value the line-stacking-strategy trait takes.

A line-area is a block-area, so the start-edge of its
allocation-rectangle extends outside the content-rectangle by
start-indent.

Thus the x-coordinate of the content-rectangle is 2*start-indent +
start-intrusion-adjustment?! Obviously this is wrong.

I guess it should better... no, I don't guess anything. What have I
missed?

Thanks,
Vincent

Re: start-indent for line-areas

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> A line-area is a block-area

I doubt this. Last time I read the spec, I got the impression
that lines are not explicit block areas.

J.Pietschmann

Re: start-indent for line-areas

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
> A line-area is a "special" sort of block-area (4.5, 1st sentence), it
> does not have any border and padding. Furthermore, 4.4 defines the
> behaviour of block-areas and makes special comments that many of those
> feature don't apply to block-areas which are line-areas (for example for
> start/end-indent).

Hmmm, reading and re-reading the spec I find nothing about that. Section
4.4 says that a block-area which is not a line-area must be properly
stacked. So that holds for a block-area with line-area children. Which
let me think that the stacking rules of 4.4.1 apply to line-areas.
I mean, in the given description B may be a line-area.

> So, I'm not sure where you got your "2*start-indent" from, but I think

A line-area being a block-area, x_content-rectangle =
x_allocation-rectangle + start-indent. Section 4.5 says that
x_allocation-rectangle = start-indent + start-intrusion-adjustment. So
x_content-rectangle = 2*start-indent + start-intrusion-adjustment.

It may be that the start-indent of a line-area is not equal to the
start-indent of its parent block-area. But then I don't know how it is
supposed to be computed.

It may be that for line-areas, the allocation-rectangle should rather be
the border-rectangle (and, then, also the content-rectangle since
line-areas have no border nor padding). The definition of the
allocation-rectangle for a line-area in section 4.5 would then be
consistent, the line-area's rectangle would coincide (when there is no
intrusion) with the parent's content-rectangle in the i-p-d. This would
correspond to what you said just below:
> you may not involve start/end-indent with line-areas. AFAIU,
> line-areas
> all extend to the edges of the parent content-rectangle in
> inline-progress-direction (i.e. start and end) if there's no instrusion.

Or perhaps this definition is wrong and the start-edge of the
allocation-rectangle should coincide with the start-edge of the ancestor
ref-area's content-rectangle (when there is no intrusion). Like for
other block-areas, in fact.

I think I'll go with the second possibility. Of course, I guess the
allocation-rectangle does not appear in the code but this is to be sure
placements will be rightly computed.

> Does that help?

Yes thanks,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

On 03.08.2006 18:16:26 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Hem, once again :-\
>
> In section 4.5 of the spec it is written that, for a line-area, the
> start-edge of its allocation-rectangle is offset from the start-edge of
> the content-rectangle of the nearest ancestor reference-area by the sum
> of its start-indent and start-intrusion-adjustment.
>
> The start- and end-edges of the allocation-rectangle are the same,
> whichever value the line-stacking-strategy trait takes.
>
> A line-area is a block-area, so the start-edge of its
> allocation-rectangle extends outside the content-rectangle by
> start-indent.
>
> Thus the x-coordinate of the content-rectangle is 2*start-indent +
> start-intrusion-adjustment?! Obviously this is wrong.
>
> I guess it should better... no, I don't guess anything. What have I
> missed?
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent

Jeremias Maerki