Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch> on 2001/06/13 13:00:02 UTC

Fwd: JSR47 vs. log4j

Greetings,

Since yesterday evening a non-negligible number of requests were directed to java-logging-input@eng.sun.com. I find Ellis Teer's comments (included below) quite interesting.

My critique of the JSR47 API can be found at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/critique.html

If you agree with its contents, you are encouraged to send your own comments to

  java-logging-input@eng.sun.com

Thanks, Ceki

RE: JSR47 vs. log4j

Posted by Flying Cloud <fl...@prodigy.net>.
Ceki

snip
> Wouldn't it be more appropriate if an Expresso developer who is
> know in that community asked for support. If I do, it would not
> be as effective.

Done. I've posted an intro message to the listserv about the critique. I
would encourage you to followup with some comments.

I've been encouraging our contributors to take a more active role on other
listservs across shared standards that Expresso is integrated with. And if
you follow up the introduction I posted about JSR47 Critique it would
further encourage that.

Thanks for correcting the spelling.

Cheers
Sandra Cann
scann@jcorporate.com

RE: JSR47 vs. log4j

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
Sandra,

At 13:56 20.06.2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Ceki,
>
>I was reading http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/critique.html today and
>would like to request if you would make a posting to our opensource listserv
>(opensource@javacorporate.com) and perhaps also to our Expresso online Users
>Forum
>(http://www.jcorporate.com/components/internal/projframe.jsp?category=65) in
>order to generate more responses to the java-logging-input@eng.sun.com. The
>more that people are aware of the issues the more that they will be able to
>participate.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate if an Expresso developer who is know in that community asked for support. If I do, it would not be as effective.

>Expresso uses log4j and Expresso has more than 51,000 downloads. We just
>announced a new release today version 3.11.

Cool.

>Sandra Cann
>scann@jcorporate.com
>
>P.S. As an aside Express is mispelled Espresso in the above URL and I was
>wondering if you would correct.

Sorry about that. Just fixed it.

Ceki Gülcü

RE: JSR47 vs. log4j

Posted by Keith Kee <ke...@netsco.com>.
I have not looked at log4j recently, but the last time I was looking for a
logging facility, the docs mentioned about static classes which are not
suitable for logging EJBs.

RE: JSR47 vs. log4j

Posted by Flying Cloud <fl...@prodigy.net>.
Ceki,