Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com> on 2011/05/24 17:21:59 UTC

Re: bindings in default build?

Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> writes:

> I'll double-check before enabling the bindings build by default. (just
> waiting for more feedback now)

There was a rebuild issue last time I looked at the swig bindings.
Every time I ran make check-swig-foo it rebuilt some (all?) of the foo
bindings, i.e.

  make swig-foo
  make check-swig-foo
  make check-swig-foo

built the bindings three times instead of once.

--
Philip

Re: bindings in default build?

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
"C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> writes:

> On 05/24/2011 12:00 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

>>> There was a rebuild issue last time I looked at the swig bindings.
>>> Every time I ran make check-swig-foo it rebuilt some (all?) of the foo
>>> bindings, i.e.
>>>
>>>  make swig-foo
>>>  make check-swig-foo
>>>  make check-swig-foo
>>>
>>> built the bindings three times instead of once.
>>
>> Ugh. Yeah... they can't become the default if they don't "stay built" :-P
>
> FWIW, I don't see this problem in my setup (Ubuntu 10.04, x86 platform,
> etc.)  I build "in-tree", if you will.

Just checked my out-of-tree build and I no longer see the problem.

--
Philip

Re: bindings in default build?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:21, Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'll double-check before enabling the bindings build by default. (just
>> waiting for more feedback now)
>
> There was a rebuild issue last time I looked at the swig bindings.
> Every time I ran make check-swig-foo it rebuilt some (all?) of the foo
> bindings, i.e.
>
>  make swig-foo
>  make check-swig-foo
>  make check-swig-foo
>
> built the bindings three times instead of once.

Ugh. Yeah... they can't become the default if they don't "stay built" :-P

It looks like the trend is towards making them the default, *if* we
can disable them at configure time and (per above) get the build
working as expected.

Cheers,
-g