Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com> on 2017/03/13 20:58:52 UTC

WebAsm?

So I'm sure many of you are aware that FireFox just added support for Web Assembly, Chrome should have it in the next release, and IE will be adding it shortly as well.   Performance measurements on WebASM vs HTMl are increadibe, and WebASM appears to be even way more performant than Flash (in addition to way better multi-threading).

I was wondering if anyone on the Flex teams is considering looking into possibilities involving WebASM?   I know it's far fetched but dosen't hurt to ask right?  In an ideal world the ability to cross compile flash/flex apps to WebASM, or a Falcon output to WebASM for FlexJS.

Re: WebAsm?

Posted by Clint M <cm...@gmail.com>.
might be best to make this a new thread

RE: WebAsm?

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.
For complex applications Flex is still by far the most productive way to build cross-platform & web enabled apps.  Our team has tried everything out there, and so far nothing beats our productivity with Flex, though a few JS frameworks (React/Vue) are showing some promise, but the performance is not what we are looking for.     A js->WebASM might work, but  your adding so many abstraction layers and working with HTML & JS that dosen't seem like a good idea.

Re: WebAsm?

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

On 3/13/2017 6:05 PM, Gary Yang wrote:
> I am curious, what do you guys think about Flash Player and Flash
> Platform's situation today? is it better or worse than expected 5/6 years
> ago?

  Flash Platform's situation is lots better today than I would have
guessed it would be 5 years ago.  It isn't dead and buried.  I perceive
AIR has had some serious traction in the mobile space. That's the plus side.

  On the negative side.   Flash / Flex is not a growth technology; it is
a legacy technology at best.    I don't see any new development
happening; and most clients use other technologies when starting apps
from scratch.  I wouldn't be my consulting future on Flash/Flex.  I
don't turn down work, but I don't actively pursue it either.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: WebAsm?

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: WebAsm?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: WebAsm?

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.
HMTL needed more than 5 years, let's give WebASM 10.