Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/27 00:42:19 UTC

SDK command line utilities man pages :)

Hi,

I've tried to create a man page from the help available to mxmlc (and I
also compiled a PDF from it, just to see how it will look
http://e4xu.googlecode.com/files/mxmlc.pdf )
I've uploaded the man page here:
http://code.google.com/p/e4xu/source/browse/trunk/man/mxmlc.8
(if you want to test it:

$ man ./mxmlc.8

or

gzip it and copy it to /usr/share/man/man8/mxmlc.8.gz or wherever the man
pages are stored on your PC.

This would of course need some more editing, and, especially, the
description part, but it looks already good! :) (it can also be easily
converted to HTML if need be)

Best.

Oleg

Re: SDK command line utilities man pages :)

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
As part of this effort, I was looking into documentation for swfdump
utility and I couldn't find any documentation in the developer manual /
user manual. It provides only the list of acceptable options on the command
line, but I only know what half of them does. I couldn't understand what
the rest of them does from experimenting and the Java code handling them
isn't particularly well documented...

Would be cool if anyone could provide conscious description of the
following options:

-encode
-showBytecode
-showDebugsource
-external
-noFunctions

It also uses some non-standard description of it's parameters putting
string java tools.SwfxPrinter in the first position, while it's not a
mandatory option / parameter. I could understand that this is the Java
class that is being used for formatting the disassembled output, but I
don't quite understand what the option is trying to tell me here.

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
Well, I still hope that we will be able to wrap the SDK into a binary
package and make it installable with stuff like apptitude / synaptic, so
documentation is almost a requirement. Hopefully there will be some
solution to the stuff that can't be distributed right now.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
what I meant was I didn't know that that was the way to add man pages.

-omar

Re: SDK command line utilities man pages :)

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
Well, pretty much anyone with enough spare time can :)

Just added compc man page and did some edits to mxmlc page (added Apache
license).

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
That's pretty cool! Didn't know you can add that.

-omar