Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Simon Valiquette <v....@ieee.org> on 2008/10/17 21:40:21 UTC

Re: MaxClients

Kapetanakis Giannis un jour écrivit:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I'm using Fedora's apache 2.2.9 with prefork MPM.
 > I'm having trouble geting my maximum allowed clients more than 1024.
 >
 > I have set
 >
 > ServerLimit      2048
 > MaxClients       2048
 >
 > But I never see more than 1024 processes of httpd.
 >
 > Soft, hard limit for open files for the apache user is 8192
 > fs.file-max = 372661
 >
 > Any ideas?

   I don't use Fedora, but the first thing I would check is if Apache was
compiled to support more than 1024 connections.  I guess It is, but I say
so because I remember that Debian Woody was compiled to support a maximum
of only 512 users, expecting people that needs more to be able to simply
recompile Apache.

   Looking at the logs might prove useful too (Apache logs and other logs
as well).  I would expect the logs to give you some hint of why Apache
doesn't want to allow you to accept more than 1024 connections, or if It
is denied by something else like the OS.

   One last possibility is that there is a Firewall, router or something
that is configured not to allow more than 1024 http connection to your
server, but that is something very uncommon (I mention it here only
because you can goes nuts searching if it happens to be the case, but
search for that only once you eliminated all the other possibilities).

Simon Valiquette
http://gulus.USherbrooke.ca

Re: MaxClients

Posted by Kapetanakis Giannis <bi...@edu.physics.uoc.gr>.
Simon Valiquette wrote:
>   I don't use Fedora, but the first thing I would check is if Apache
> was compiled to support more than 1024 connections.  I guess It is,
> but I say so because I remember that Debian Woody was compiled to
> support a maximum of only 512 users, expecting people that needs more
> to be able to simply recompile Apache.
>
>   Looking at the logs might prove useful too (Apache logs and other
> logs as well).  I would expect the logs to give you some hint of why
> Apache doesn't want to allow you to accept more than 1024 connections,
> or if It is denied by something else like the OS.
>
>   One last possibility is that there is a Firewall, router or
> something that is configured not to allow more than 1024 http
> connection to your server, but that is something very uncommon (I
> mention it here only because you can goes nuts searching if it happens
> to be the case, but search for that only once you eliminated all the
> other possibilities).

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply.

I've checked the source code a few days ago and found out about
srclib/apr/poll/unix/select.c:#define FD_SETSIZE 1024
but I've read that it's being used only by select() and not by poll()
Anyway, I'll make a quick compile with a modified value to check what it
does.

Logs where not helpfull, because the rest of the clients where queued
until a process was free.

Probably not a network limiting but I'll have it in mind incase
everything else fails.

Regards,

Giannis