Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by chrishumphrey <ch...@parallelsw.com> on 2009/11/18 01:24:50 UTC

Java Web Start

Hi all,

I'm working on a project where I'm trying to deploy an evaluation version of
my app.  The app is built on top of openejb/openjpa.  I found a couple of
posts related to this, one that was a JIRA created (in 2005) to get openejb
working from a JWS installation (no activity at all).  One other post that
seemed closely related.  I'm getting an npe from
'org.apache.openejb.config.DeploymentLoader.getWebDescriptors(DeploymentLoader:1057)'
But I'm not sure the solution posted there would fit.

My system is using openejb 3.1.2, and works well outside of this issue.

Has anyone successfully deployed an app based on openejb, with JavaWebStart?
I'm not stuck to JWS either (not sure if there is an alternative), the app
can be deployed in anyway, but I don't want to pay anything to build an
evaluation install.

Is there another alternative to getting my 'embeded openejb' application
installed and running on a Windows box?

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Nov 18, 2009, at 7:18 PM, chrishumphrey wrote:

> If there is an interest in changing this code, and relaxing this
> requirement, I may be able to find some time to work on a new
> solution, but
> if I'm the only one who needs this I don't know that I really want
> to spend
> the time on it, I've moved over to a native Windows installer, and
> it seems
> to be working so far, just have 30 days now to evaluate and get all
> of the
> installs done.

Sure, something like that would be great.   Maybe even for speed in
coding and reviewing we could just come up with a flag that would
enable JWS-friendly logic and skip things like this.  That way you
could change whatever you wanted and just leave the original logic
there.  If the proof of concept works out we can come back later and
clean it up.

-David

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.
I guess another option is making an installer. Zip the distribution
and make a JWS installer which setups it up as a standard app on the
target PC. It all depends on the reason for using JWS, though.

Quintin Beukes

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by chrishumphrey <ch...@parallelsw.com>.

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by chrishumphrey <ch...@parallelsw.com>.
Hi Jacek,

Here is the stack trace down to my client code.
I will assume your working on this, I think all of the code for this problem
will be centralized in this one class, and it should be easy enough to get
refactored.  If you want me to run this through my stuff I should be able to
fairly easily and will let you know what it does, and get the traces back to
you. Please keep me posted.

INFO - Configuring Service(id=Default Transaction Manager,
type=TransactionManager, provider-id=Default Transaction Manager)
ERROR - FATAL ERROR: Unknown error in Assembler.  Please send the following
stack trace and this message to users@openejb.apache.org :
 java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.DeploymentLoader.getWebDescriptors(DeploymentLoader.java:1057)
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.DeploymentLoader.discoverModuleType(DeploymentLoader.java:1162)
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.DeploymentsResolver.processUrls(DeploymentsResolver.java:294)
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.DeploymentsResolver.loadFromClasspath(DeploymentsResolver.java:248)
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.ConfigurationFactory.getOpenEjbConfiguration(ConfigurationFactory.java:368)
	at
org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.getOpenEjbConfiguration(Assembler.java:299)
	at org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.build(Assembler.java:278)
	at org.apache.openejb.OpenEJB$Instance.<init>(OpenEJB.java:137)
	at org.apache.openejb.OpenEJB.init(OpenEJB.java:286)
	at org.apache.openejb.OpenEJB.init(OpenEJB.java:265)
	at org.apache.openejb.loader.OpenEJBInstance.init(OpenEJBInstance.java:36)
	at
org.apache.openejb.client.LocalInitialContextFactory.init(LocalInitialContextFactory.java:71)
	at
org.apache.openejb.client.LocalInitialContextFactory.init(LocalInitialContextFactory.java:53)
	at
org.apache.openejb.client.LocalInitialContextFactory.getInitialContext(LocalInitialContextFactory.java:42)
	at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(Unknown Source)
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(Unknown Source)
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(Unknown Source)
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at
com.parallelsw.framework.service.ServiceFactory.<init>(ServiceFactory.java:25)

-chris

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Was thinking about this today as well.  Pop over to the dev list,
Chris, if you still want to hack on it.

-David

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by chrishumphrey <ch...@parallelsw.com>.
Hi Jacek,

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by chrishumphrey <ch...@parallelsw.com>.
Hi Quintin,

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by chrishumphrey <ch...@parallelsw.com>.

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Re: Java Web Start

Posted by chrishumphrey <ch...@parallelsw.com>.
Thanks for the reply Jacek,

I have found more information about this issue since posting.  Basically, I
pulled the sourcecode down, and started looking through it.  The problem
lies in the method getFile(URL warFile), one of the first things that method
does is checks to make sure the URL points to a real file -- on the
filesystem.
            // we only support file based jar urls
            if (!pathname .startsWith("file:")) {
                return null;
            }

This causes the npe in the original line number I posted.

So, basically, the code is working as designed/expected.  I'm not sure what
all work would need to be done to support a JWS installer, but at least this
requirement would need to be changed.  I did comment that code out just to
see how much more work would be needed, and it turns out there are other
places where a real file on the local fileystem is required.

If there is an interest in changing this code, and relaxing this
requirement, I may be able to find some time to work on a new solution, but
if I'm the only one who needs this I don't know that I really want to spend
the time on it, I've moved over to a native Windows installer, and it seems
to be working so far, just have 30 days now to evaluate and get all of the
installs done.

Thanks again for the reply.

-chris

Re: Java Web Start