Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ar...@noaa.gov on 2006/12/19 19:12:41 UTC

[users@httpd] .htaccess

we've recently upgrade to redhat enterprise rel 4.  for some reason .htacess
files are no longer being read.  we're not seeing any errors in apache logs or
selinux logs and configuration has not changed.  has anyone else seen this or
is more likely that we've fat fingered something?

regards.

-a
--
if you find yourself slandering anybody, first imagine that your mouth is
filled with excrement.  it will break you of the habit quickly enough. - the

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess

Posted by ar...@noaa.gov.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Davide Bianchi wrote:

> You've upgraded from what?

rel 3.

> Have you checked if the problem could be caused by the fact that SELinux is
> by default enabled in RH EL, and maybe Apache can't read the .htaccess file?

yes.  selinux is indeed enabled.  however, it's not logging any errors and the
.htacess files have the same permissions/context as other files being served
by apache.

-a

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess

Posted by Davide Bianchi <da...@onlyforfun.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
>>we've recently upgrade to redhat enterprise rel 4.  for some reason .htacess

You've upgraded from what? Have you checked if the problem could be
caused by the fact that SELinux is by default enabled in RH EL, and
maybe Apache can't read the .htaccess file?

Davide

--
No, my friends. No, money will never make you happy, and happy will
never make you money. That might be a wisecrack, but I doubt it.

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 12/19/06, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov <ar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > On 12/19/06, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov <ar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
> >>
> >> we've recently upgrade to redhat enterprise rel 4.  for some reason
> >> .htacess files are no longer being read.  we're not seeing any errors in
> >> apache logs or selinux logs and configuration has not changed.  has anyone
> >> else seen this or is more likely that we've fat fingered something?
> >
> > Check the AllowOverride directive.
>
> yup.  it's 'All'

Check again.  Check to make sure it applies to the appropriate
directories and that there is no other AllowOverride directive in
httpd.conf or in any Include'd config file that may be changing the
setting.

Sorry, but there is really nothing else that could be affecting this.
If apache can't read the .htaccess file for any reason it will give a
403 error, it won't simply ignore the .htaccess.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.