Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by laredotornado <la...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/23 21:32:25 UTC

Choosing the right worker

Hi,

We're using 6.0.24, running on two servers.  In our workers.properties file
on the web server, we have ...

===========Begin workers.properties ==============
worker.lbroute.balance_workers=worker1,worker2

worker.worker1.type=ajp13
worker.worker1.host=ip_addr1
worker.worker1.port=8000
worker.worker1.lbfactor=1
worker.worker1.redirect=worker2
worker.worker1.socket_keepalive=true
worker.worker1.connection_pool_timeout=60

worker.worker2.type=ajp13
worker.worker2.host=ip_addr2
worker.worker2.port=8000
worker.worker2.lbfactor=1
worker.worker2.activation=disabled
worker.worker2.socket_keepalive=true
worker.worker2.connection_pool_timeout=60

Re: Choosing the right worker

Posted by laredotornado <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We are not observing a failover.  Our index page served by our first app
server (worker1) was returning a 500 http status code, whereas the same
index page served by our second app server (worker2) was returning normally
(http status = 200).  Yet the 500 error page was getting all the way back to
the client.

The docs say, "The redirect flag on worker1 tells the lb_worker to redirect
the requests to worker2 only if worker1 is in error state. In other cases
worker2 will not receive any requests, thus acting like a hot standby."  But
we are still seeing our second app server get an equal number of requests.
So could you clarify how to set up so that both nodes get an equal number of
requests, but if one returns an error code, all requests will go to the
other?

Thanks, - Dave

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.