Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com> on 2010/01/27 09:14:38 UTC

Status update

Hi all,

We've worked out ways that we think are sound legally for granting most of the wsdls and xsds that were problematic.  We are
submitting these as instructions and optionally xmldiff files (using Microsoft's xmldiffpatch tool).  There are two outstanding
issues remaining, however, both of which require work inside MetaCarta to resolve:

(1) An .asmx file that's part of a necessary SharePoint 3.0 security web service, which generates a wsdl that is partly similar
to Microsoft's Permissions.wsdl, and
(2) Obtaining the source code for a Meridio web service which MetaCarta paid for development for, but which Meridio only ever
delivered the executable installer for.

The first issue I believe will be straightforward to resolve; I may post to apache-legal later today as per Grant's suggestion,
since I do not believe you can consider a method declaration (which is all this wsdl represents) as prior art.

The second issue may be more problematic as Meridio was purchased by Autonomy in the interim, and this would almost certainly
need to go through Autonomy's legal department, which is unlikely to be speedy.  If that turns out to be the case, we may still
have the option of granting the service's installer, or its wsdl, depending on the contract under which it was developed.  If
not, we will probably be forced to grant the Meridio Connector code without a critical web service that is used by the Meridio
Authority Connector.  I'd rather not do that but there may be no other choice.

Thanks for your patience,
Karl

Re: Status update

Posted by Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com>.

> Or just leave Meridio out in the cold for the time being, and let them
> sort it out when LCF kicks ass and they realize they need the
> connector? :-)

That is, indeed, a possibility.  However, we're not quite ready to give up yet. ;-)

Karl

Re: Status update

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@gmail.com>.

--