Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by bobo tr <bo...@yahoo.fr> on 2007/07/03 19:39:09 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.28 SocketException error

Hi,

I'm running Tomcat 5.0.28  with JDK 1.4.2_10, and I can see in catalina.out a lot of :

GRAVE: Remote Host /xxx.xxx.xxx.x SocketException: Invalid argument
Jul 2, 2007 2:16:18 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread runIt

When I have around 50 messages like this one, I can see this message :

GRAVE: Remote Host /xxx.xxx.xxx.x SocketException: Invalid argument
Jul 2, 2007 2:20:24 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor process
GRAVE: Error processing request
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

After this message my servers crash.

That IP is a loadbalancer, and when I watch for TCP trace, I can see that the loadbalancer send RST to my server when the
 exception appear, but I also see that each RST received by the server doesn't match with the exception.

I found some people having the same problem but no solutions.
Do you know if it is a known Tomcat issue? I haven't found it in the bug database.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Best regards,

Boris

Re: Tomcat 5.0.28 SocketException error

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
this would be your hint

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

so yes, running out of memory would crash your server. what you can do is

1. upgrade to 1.4.2_14
2. add "-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError" to your JAVA_OPTS

this will produce a .hprof file containing your memory dump, you can then analyze the dump using www.yourkit.com

Filip