Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Eldad Yamin <el...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/03 22:57:19 UTC

Solandra

Hello,
I have a cluster of 3 Cassandra nodes and I would like to start using
Solandra.
1. How can I install Solandra and make use the existing nodes?
2. Will it be better to install Solandra on a new node and add it to the
existing cluster?
3. How Solandra index, does it operate automatically or I need to "tell"
Solandra to index CF.keys every time a new key is create or update?

Thanks!

RE: Solandra

Posted by Saket Joshi <sj...@touchcommerce.com>.
HI Eldad,

You can find the answers inline

1. How can I install Solandra and make use the existing nodes?
    download the source from git hub and build locally ( just run "ant" on source directory)
    the build creates a folder "solandra-app", which contains bin,conf, lib. The bin dir is the one that has the startup scripts ,you may need to modify the solandra.in.sh{modify the class path creation line from lib/*.jar to ../lib/*.jar} .

make use the existing nodes?
(I haven't tried this , but I think it will work)
You can edit the Cassandra.yaml inside the conf directory to make this Cassandra instance part of the existing cluster (give the proper token and the seed nodes)

2. Will it be better to install Solandra on a new node and add it to the existing cluster?
    Depends on your current architecture, the latest Solandra uses Cassandra 0.8x, if you currently using cassandra 0.6x, you may want to upgrade. I would preferably keep same versions of Cassandra to avoid any version conflicts

3. How Solandra index, does it operate automatically or I need to "tell" Solandra to index CF.keys every time a new key is create or update?
    Since Solandra is based on Solr, one has to define a "schema.xml", where the data structure to index is defined, the github source has some samples too, The first thing you do after starting solandra app is http post your schema.xml. verify the schema using url http://<HOST>:8983/solandra/schema/<YOUR SCHEMA NAME>, after the verification you can add data to solr using a API like solrj

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Saket
I have a cluster of 3 Cassandra nodes and I would like to start using Solandra.
1. How can I install Solandra and make use the existing nodes?
2. Will it be better to install Solandra on a new node and add it to the existing cluster?
3. How Solandra index, does it operate automatically or I need to "tell" Solandra to index CF.keys every time a new key is create or update?

Thanks!

This communication, along with any attachments, may include confidential TouchCommerce Inc. information. Any distribution or copying of this material is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please contact the sender immediately.