Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Chen Song <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/15 00:00:05 UTC

Re: spark streaming with kafka reset offset

A follow up question.

When using createDirectStream approach, the offsets are checkpointed to
HDFS and it is understandable by Spark Streaming job. Is there a way to
expose the offsets via a REST api to end users. Or alternatively, is there
a way to have offsets committed to Kafka Offset Manager so users can query
from a consumer programmatically?

Essentially, all I need to do is monitor the progress of data consumption
of the Kafka topic.

--
Chen Song

Re: spark streaming with kafka reset offset

Posted by Tathagata Das <td...@databricks.com>.
Of course, exactly once receiving is not same as exactly once. In case of
direct kafka stream, the data may actually be pulled multiple time. But
even if the data of a batch is pulled twice because of some failure, the
final result (that is, transformed data accessed through foreachRDD) will
always be the same even if recomputed. In other words, the data in
partition x of the RDD of time t, will always be the same even if that
partition gets recomputed. Now, to get end-to-end exactly once, you will
have also push data out to external data stores in the exactly-once manner
- either the updates are idempotent, or you can use the unique id [(batch
time, partition ID)] to update the store transactionally (such that each
partition is inserted into the data store only once.

This is also explained in my talk. -

Posted by Chen Song <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks TD.

--
Chen Song

Re: spark streaming with kafka reset offset

Posted by Tathagata Das <td...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Chen Song <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks TD and Cody. I saw that.

--
Chen Song

Re: spark streaming with kafka reset offset

Posted by Tathagata Das <td...@databricks.com>.
Relevant documentation -

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.