Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2006/03/31 15:55:18 UTC

xdoc DTD - Do we already have a PUBLIC identifier?

Hi,

I finally was able to make heads and tails of the xdoc DTD as included
in the maven 1 xdoc plugin (thanks a lot for this, Lukas & Arnaud!) . To
make XMLMind to automatically identify these files, we do need a DTD
public identifier. Do you already have one? Googling for this didn't
really help me here.

If you don't have decided for an identifier, I'd like to propose:

<!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD XDOC 1.0//EN"
                          "http://www.apache.org/dtds/xdoc_1_0.dtd">

as DTD identifier for the XDOC format. As I understand, we then must
make this DTD visible at the designated location, which needs
coordination with the infra people. However, putting it under
www.apache.org means, that the mirror system will pick up these DTDs.

Any opinions? If you agree, you can take a look at
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/EditXdocs

to get my XMLMind hackery for actually editing xdocs (not just painfully
writing them... :-) ).

	Best regards
		Henning

      RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development
   Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Engineering

Social behaviour: Bavarians can be extremely egalitarian and folksy.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
Most Franconians do not like to be called Bavarians.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia

Re: xdoc DTD - Do we already have a PUBLIC identifier?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org> writes:

yes, and the xdoc plugin come from the Anakia format which uses
Velocity to do the same transformation. Actually, the xdoc is better
but Anakia is older. And all over the place at the ASF (e.g. the
Jakarta site is built with it).

Basically, xdoc is sort of "Apache Infrastructure" with the maven-xdoc
plugin being its first-class citizen.

>Actually, the navbar is in there already...

Yes, but it wasn't in the anakia format, last time I looked. ;-)
(http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta/velocity/engine/trunk/xdocs/stylesheets/site.vsl?rev=369042&view=markup
if you enjoy reading up on Velocity macros. ;-) )

AFAIK, there is no such thing as an Anakia/XDOC
documentation. Basically, it is XHTML + document + section +
subsection + source.

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 19:12 +0000, Lukas Theussl wrote:
> No, there is none. The DTD is currently only available in SVN, it was
> added in the 1.10 version of the maven-1 xdoc plugin which is not
> released yet. As such, it is still work in progress, so I don't know if
> it's a good idea to publish it at this point. However, as far as I'm
> concerned, the xdoc-1.10 plugin could be released very soon, we will
> consider your demand as soon as it's done (please remind us if we
> forget, I know you are good at that! ;) )

;-)

I've created MPXDOC-192, please make sure to resolve it before releasing
1.10

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that I've got the document loaded, it's still unclear to me if
> this is better than editing it by hand, though :)

Ok.  There was one more change needed to get it to use Henning's css
file (xdocs.xxe), and now it looks useful!

Change the <detect> entry in xdoc/xdoc.xxe to

  <detect>
    <or>
        <dtdPublicId>-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD XDOC
1.0//EN</dtdPublicId>
        <dtdPublicId>-//APACHE//DTD Documentation Maven//EN</dtdPublicId>
    </or>
  </detect>

Re: xdoc DTD - Do we already have a PUBLIC identifier?

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> As I understand, we then must
> make this DTD visible at the designated location, which needs
> coordination with the infra people. However, putting it under
> www.apache.org means, that the mirror system will pick up these DTDs.

By adding

  <public publicId="-//APACHE//DTD Documentation Maven//EN"
          uri="dtd/xdoc_1_0.dtd"/>

to xdoc_catalog.xml, I was able to get maven xdocs to load without change.

If that's the case, do we really need to create a public DTD for this?

I'm not saying we shouldn't, but I don't think it's a requirement.

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Mike Kienenberger" <mk...@gmail.com> writes:

>On 3/31/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I still get an error when doing a "File -> New -> XDocs":
>>
>> Cannot open file
>> ".....\XMLMind\XMLEditor\addon\xdoc\template\empty_doc.xml":
>> http://www.apache.org/dtd/xdoc.dtd

>Ok.  I read some more, and the problem is that the empty_doc.xml file
>DOCTYPE doesn't match the xdoc_catalog.xml file.  One is "XDOC
>1.0//EN" and the other is "XDOC//EN".   Making them both 1.0 works.

I've incorporated your patches and also read up on the white-space
preservation stuff so that the <source> </source> sections no longer
get mangled. I've added your maven documentation identifier to the
xdoc.xxe and fixed up the bugs.

I've put this onto the wiki page (and found out how to put links onto
attachments). Please try out. :-)

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Hi,

as you have noticed, I've made some last minute changes before putting
it on the wiki page (bad thing, I know... :-) ).

I've cleaned that up (and also added the Maven Documentation DTD
identifier as you did. This is a nice addition, but I do want to get the
xdoc out of the "this is an obscure maven thing" realm, so I will push
for an ASF wide DTD. If we have to live with xdoc, then we might as well
try to get it right. ;-)

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> I finally was able to make heads and tails of the xdoc DTD as included
> in the maven 1 xdoc plugin (thanks a lot for this, Lukas & Arnaud!) . To
> make XMLMind to automatically identify these files, we do need a DTD
> public identifier. Do you already have one? Googling for this didn't
> really help me here.
>
> If you don't have decided for an identifier, I'd like to propose:
>
> <!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD XDOC 1.0//EN"
>                           "http://www.apache.org/dtds/xdoc_1_0.dtd">
>
> as DTD identifier for the XDOC format. As I understand, we then must
> make this DTD visible at the designated location, which needs
> coordination with the infra people. However, putting it under
> www.apache.org means, that the mirror system will pick up these DTDs.
>
> Any opinions? If you agree, you can take a look at
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/EditXdocs
>
> to get my XMLMind hackery for actually editing xdocs (not just painfully
> writing them... :-) ).

Henning,

I've cleaned up the EditXDocs page as I'm highly-motivated to get this
working for MyFaces xdocs, and to be able to point others to this.   I
still get an error when doing a "File -> New -> XDocs":

Cannot open file
".....\XMLMind\XMLEditor\addon\xdoc\template\empty_doc.xml":
http://www.apache.org/dtd/xdoc.dtd

I'm guessing it means it still won't work until the URL is valid.
Any ideas on getting around that?   I'm a novice when it comes to
dtds, but can we change it from public to SYSTEM or something and drop
it into the file system somewhere?

Re: xdoc DTD - Do we already have a PUBLIC identifier?

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> Any opinions? If you agree, you can take a look at
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/EditXdocs

Also, if you could rename the attachment XMLMind_XDOC to
XMLMind_XDOC.tar.gz, it would clear up some confusion .....