Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au> on 2003/04/14 23:51:34 UTC

PROPOSAL: maven version dependencies

Hi,

I was wondering whether it might be a good idea to be able to specify
which version of maven core you want to use, like it appears will become
the case with the plugins.

At the moment, maven.jar has no version, and that's actually caused some
problems when I upgraded to 9 because it kept downloading 7 from my
"local remote" repo (ok, so it shouldn't have been there :) and using
that instead.

But I had some other genuine reasons:
1) because sometimes new features are added such that it won't build (eg
<resources> vs <testResources>), it might be nice to stop the build if
maven version beta-X or higher is not available (and so on into the 1.x
versions). Of course, that's probably what pomVersion is meant for, but
it doesn't appear to be incremented or enforced even when the pom changes.

2) because it would make it easier to upgrade through versions. The
starting shell script picks up the maven.jar based on a --version
parameter, or maybe the startup classloader can even figure that out
(Some sort of bootstrap for running). One project uses feature X from
maven 1.4, but another doesn't build under 1.4 because of some new
requirement that it hasn't yet been upgraded to meet. So install both
and run against either?

These might be more of a problem during the beta cycles, but it'd be
good to have at least 1) in place. What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Brett

--
Web Developer