Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jicheng Hao <jh...@tgen.org> on 2003/05/06 00:59:44 UTC

frame vs tiles

Our LIMS (Library Information Management System) is using the frames at
the moment.  I wonder if we need to change to tiles.

Regards.
Jicheng

Nested logic:iterate for Multiboxes

Posted by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com>.
It is possible to use the logic:iterate tag to generate the values
and labels for a single multibox (one group of multiple checkboxes
all with the same name):

      <logic:iterate id="labelValueBean" name="someCollection"
property="someProperty">

	       <bean:write name="labelValueBean" property="value"/>

         <bean:write name="labelValueBean" property="label"/>

      </logic:iterate>

Is it possible to nest the code above within another logic:iterate
tag and dynamically generate several different multiboxes (several
groups of check boxes; each check box within a group has the same
name)?  After looking at the tag code, I do not think it is possible
(multiboxes do not have an index attribute).

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a unique work around to
dynamically generate several different multiboxes.

Thanks.

Mike

Re: frame vs tiles

Posted by Sergey Smirnov <si...@exadel.com>.
> Our LIMS (Library Information Management System) is using the frames at
> the moment.  I wonder if we need to change to tiles.

Probably, You have read that the tiles are good replacement for frames. Actually, It only one side of the true. Tiles help you to avoid repetition in your JSP files, but from client point of view, you will get difference result. You will have only one scrolled frame.
The decision, might depend of primary reason you have frame structure previously. If you uses frames just to avoid repetition in your JSP code, probably, you have a reason to switch to the tiles structure. Otherwise, if frame structure is created to provide some specific user interface, such as catalog list that should not be scrolled while the other context is scrolled, you should not switch to tiles, because you might miss some ideas of your user interface you have now.

Regards,
Sergey Smirnov
Struts Studio Architect