Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com> on 2006/08/29 17:25:48 UTC

Call for Eclipse tools work items

Hi all,
Over at STP we are putting together work items for our next milestone
and
beyond. Obviously Tuscany and STP have (should have!) close links -
so what
do you Tuscany developers think we should provide in terms of tooling
support
for developing Tuscany-based services and assemblies?

  cheers
   --oh

Re: Call for Eclipse tools work items

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Oisin Hurley wrote:
> Hi all,
> Over at STP we are putting together work items for our next milestone and
> beyond. Obviously Tuscany and STP have (should have!) close links - so
> what
> do you Tuscany developers think we should provide in terms of tooling
> support
> for developing Tuscany-based services and assemblies?
>
> cheers
> --oh

Oisin,

I recently spent some time developing SCA sample applications for
Tuscany (working on the WS-I supply-chain scenario, plus some more
changes to BigBank that I'll probably drop next week). I have been
happily using the Eclipse WTP tools for XSDs and WSDLs but I could have
used some good SCA tools to help me write all the SCA artifacts :) so
here's my wish list for your STP SCA tooling:

- Get the SCA XSDs registered in the Eclipse XML catalog to get XSD
based validation of SCDL files and content assist in the XML editor.
That's what I did by hand in my environment and I found it very useful.
- Support for the SCA 0.96 assembly model in the STP core model.
- Introspection of Java and C++ components and Web services to type
properties, services and references.
- An eclipse validator that provides further validation of my SCDLs
(checks SCA wires for example) and provides nice error reporting.
- An SCDL editor with more SCA content assist (which will list all
interfaces available to you when you create a service or reference or
potential targets of a reference for example).
- An Eclipse project structure that will allow me to create SCA
composites and assemble them... somehow.
- A magic button that takes one or more of my projects to the Tuscany
runtime, or something that does it in the background without me having
to think about it.

When is your next Milestone? When you have something that works with the
latest SCA spec level I'll be interested in trying it for my SCA
application development and helping test it.

--
Jean-Sebastien