Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by adeelmahmood <ad...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/27 06:38:16 UTC

solr for reporting purposes

we are trying to use solr for somewhat of a reporting system too (along with
search) .. since it provides such amazing control over queries and basically
over the data that user wants .. they might as well be able to dump that
data in an excel file too if needed .. our data isnt too much close to 25K
docs with 15-20 fields in each doc .. and mostly these reports will be for
close to 500 - 4000 records .. i am thinking about setting up a simple
servlet that grabs all this data that submits the user query to solr over
http .. grabs all that results data and dumps it in an excel file .. i was
just hoping to get some idea of whether this is going to cause any
performance impact on solr search .. especially since its all on the same
server and some users will be doing reports while others will be searching
.. right now search is working GREAT .. its blazing fast .. i dont wanna
loose this but at the same time reporting is an important requirement as
well ..

also i would appreciate any hints towards some creative ways of doing it ..
something like getting 500 some records in a single request and then using
some timer task repeat the process ..

thanks for ur help

Re: solr for reporting purposes

Posted by adeelmahmood <ad...@gmail.com>.
I just want to clarify if its not obvious .. that the reason I am concerned
about the performance of solr is becaues for reporting requests I will
probably have to request all result rows at the same time .. instead of 10
or 20

Posted by adeelmahmood <ad...@gmail.com>.
well thanks for ur reply .. as far as the load goes again I think most of the
reports will be for 1000-4000 records and we dont have that many users ..
its an internal system so we have about 400 users per day and we are opening
this up for only half of those people (a specific role of people) .. so
close to 200 people could potentially use it .. so practially speaking i
think we can have up to 50 requests at a given time .. but again since its
reports they are gonna be needed every day .. once you get a report you have
it for a while .. so overall i dont think its that much of user load that we
have .. what do you think

also i was thinking about handling requests in a 500 records limit fashion
.. so a request for 2000 records will be handled as 5 separate (refresh by a
5 sec timeout) requests .. do you think thats a good idea to ask solr to
return 500 rows at a time but make that request 5 times .. or its better to
just ask for 2000 rows alltogether