Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Doo Jung Jin <do...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/24 20:43:50 UTC

Request for Help

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have received a file with an extension of "HWP" (Hangul Word
Processor-generated file) but cannot open and read it.  Would you help me
find a way how to do it?

Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,
DJ Jin

Re: Request for Help

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:43:50 -0000, Doo Jung Jin <do...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have received a file with an extension of "HWP" (Hangul Word
> Processor-generated file) but cannot open and read it.  Would you help me
> find a way how to do it?

later versions of hwp format are not openoffice-compatible. this programme from microsoft may be of use:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36772

it is intended primarily to work side-by-side with ms word. however, pay attention to point 4 under install instructions. it seems to allow conversion without having ms word installed.

the site online.thinkfree.com may provide you with free online editing and translation. it is from hancom, the developer of hangul office. however, online editing may pose your security at risk, so judge carefully.

RE: Request for Help

Posted by Alec McAllister <t....@leeds.ac.uk>.
Dear DJ Jin,

I've never handled HWP files myself, but Microsoft offers this free tool, which claims to convert HWP documents into DOCX format. "Hanword HWP document convertor for Microsoft Word": http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36772

Once in DOCX, it should be possible to handle them in OpenOffice.

Alec McAllister