Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com> on 2014/11/11 23:03:02 UTC

SSLv2Hello is required on Java 6

Hi,

Right after we pushed 1.5.1 out (I have not even sent the announce email), we discovered that Java 6 requires SSLv2Hello on the server side for negotiation even if TLS is used (unless the client code is also changed to disable SSLv2Hello). So:

- For HTTP Source, any clients running on Java 6 would need code changes to also disable SSLv2Hello to be able to send data via TLSv1.
- For Avro Source, any clients running Flume SDK < 1.5.1 on Java 6 would break and requires the client application to upgrade to 1.5.1.

I filed FLUME-2547 to fix this.

My question to the community here is whether we want a new release bringing SSLv2Hello back or if we are willing to just document this and move forward?

I am willing to put together an RC if required.

Thanks,
Hari

Re: SSLv2Hello is required on Java 6

Posted by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks. I will spin up an RC later today.

Thanks,
Hari

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Hari,