Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2007/04/11 04:37:36 UTC

RE: Mentors and members

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Someone is nominated the iPMC as an active, involved contributor.

No one needs to be on the Incubator PMC because they are an active contributor.  They should be on the Incubator PMC because they care about Incubation, and Mentoring one or more projects.

> Bottom line, what is the *motivation* to have non-ASF-member Mentorships?

Experience.  I do not want to put an artificial restriction on whom the Incubator may select as a Mentor.  We have had EXCELLENT Mentors who have performed their role with distinction long before coming an ASF Member.  And, likewise, Members (even a Director or few) who have gone AWOL while they are supposed to be Mentoring.  So while I do see where you are coming from, our real-world experiences do not support your perspective.

The decision is still a human one.  We, collectively, have to make a decision on each individual.

	--- Noel