Posted to user@spark.apache.org by "Kelly, Jonathan" <jo...@amazon.com> on 2015/03/05 19:39:38 UTC

Spark v1.2.1 failing under BigTop build in External Flume Sink (due to missing Netty library)

I'm running into an issue building Spark v1.2.1 (as well as the latest in branch-1.2 and v1.3.0-rc2 and the latest in branch-1.3) with BigTop (v0.9, which is not quite released yet).  The build fails in the External Flume Sink subproject with the following error:

[INFO] Compiling 5 Scala sources and 3 Java sources to /workspace/workspace/bigtop.spark-rpm/build/spark/rpm/BUILD/spark-1.3.0/external/flume-sink/target/scala-2.10/classes...
[WARNING] Class org.jboss.netty.channel.ChannelFactory not found - continuing with a stub.
[ERROR] error while loading NettyServer, class file '/home/ec2-user/.m2/repository/org/apache/avro/avro-ipc/1.7.6/avro-ipc-1.7.6.jar(org/apache/avro/ipc/NettyServer.class)' is broken
(class java.lang.NullPointerException/null)
[WARNING] one warning found
[ERROR] one error found

It seems like what is happening is that the Netty library is missing at build time, which happens because it is explicitly excluded in the pom.xml (see https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/v1.2.1/external/flume-sink/pom.xml#L42).  I attempted removing the exclusions and the explicit re-add for the test scope on lines 77-88, and that allowed the build to succeed, though I don't know if that will cause problems at runtime.  I don't have any experience with the Flume Sink, so I don't really know how to test it.  (And, to be clear, I'm not necessarily trying to get the Flume Sink to work-- I just want the project to build successfully, though of course I'd still want the Flume Sink to work for whomever does need it.)

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here?  Here is the command BigTop is running to build Spark:

mvn -Pbigtop-dist -Pyarn -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Pkinesis-asl -Divy.home=/home/ec2-user/.ivy2 -Dsbt.ivy.home=/home/ec2-user/.ivy2 -Duser.home=/home/ec2-user -Drepo.maven.org= -Dreactor.repo=file:///home/ec2-user/.m2/repository -Dhadoop.version=2.4.0-amzn-3-SNAPSHOT -Dyarn.version=2.4.0-amzn-3-SNAPSHOT -Dprotobuf.version=2.5.0 -Dscala.version=2.10.3 -Dscala.binary.version=2.10 -DskipTests -DrecompileMode=all install

As I mentioned above, if I switch to the latest in branch-1.2, to v1.3.0-rc2, or to the latest in branch-1.3, I get the same exact error.  I was not getting the error with Spark v1.1.0, though there weren't any changes to the external/flume-sink/pom.xml between v1.1.0 and v1.2.1.

~ Jonathan Kelly

Re: FW: Spark v1.2.1 failing under BigTop build in External Flume Sink (due to missing Netty library)

Posted by 김영우 <wa...@gmail.com>.
Filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-1727 and uploaded a
patch.

Thanks,
Youngwoo

Posted by 김영우 <wa...@gmail.com>.
Gotcha.

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi jonathan !

--
jay vyas

FW: Spark v1.2.1 failing under BigTop build in External Flume Sink (due to missing Netty library)

Posted by "Kelly, Jonathan" <jo...@amazon.com>.

Re: Spark v1.2.1 failing under BigTop build in External Flume Sink (due to missing Netty library)

Posted by "Kelly, Jonathan" <jo...@amazon.com>.

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.