Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org> on 2019/10/04 15:54:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] FLIP-65: New type inference for Table API UDFs

Hi everyone,

I would like to propose FLIP-65 that describes how we want to deal with
data types and their inference/extraction in the Table API in the
future. I have collected many comments, shortcomings, issues from users
and trainings in last years that went into the design. It completes the
work started in FLIP-37 by upgrading the type system to DataTypes and
allowing new use cases. Some key features of this FLIP are:

- Type extraction closely coupled to the SQL standard (with
precision/scale specification and complex data types)

- Simple stuff is simple, missing information can be provided with
annotations without the need to specify everything from scratch.

- Full access to the planner's type inference which allows to create
UDFs as powerful as built-in system functions

- Unification of Scala and Java API to enable the unified
TableEnvironment.registerFunction()

The design document can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zf8-okGvCiTTRaTN0IqtTGrrjXYNGFJnhUQyinF4xcU/edit#

I will convert it to a wiki page after the first review comments.

Happy to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Timo

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-37%3A+Rework+of+the+Table+API+Type+System

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-65: New type inference for Table API UDFs

Posted by "zhaobo@lenovocloud.com" <zh...@lenovocloud.com>.
unsubscribe

zhaobo@lenovocloud.com

From: Jark Wu
Date: 2019-10-08 17:29
To: dev
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-65: New type inference for Table API UDFs
Hi Timo,

Thanks for the proposal, a big +1 to the FLIP, especially this enables the
unified `TableEnvironment.registerFunction()`.

I think the design documentation is pretty good enough, I only left some
minor comments there.

Best,
Jark

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Hequn,

yes we should target this feature for the 1.10 release. It will enable
not only a function DDL but also UDFs in the unified `TableEnvironment`
for the Blink planner. It will also make the Hive UDF implementation
cleaner.

Regards,
Timo

Posted by Hequn Cheng <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 to start a vote.

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.

--
Best, Jingsong Lee

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-65: New type inference for Table API UDFs

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.
Hi Timo,