Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "frank.ledbury@sky.com.INVALID" <fr...@sky.com.INVALID> on 2023/06/23 16:40:36 UTC

Spreadsheet

Having problem multiplying the values in two cella.I have tried =B1*C1 for example but it doesn't workDisappointed as my attempt at division worked fine on a previous worksheet using for example=A1/B1Please help if you canFrank

Re: Spreadsheet

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com.INVALID>.
Hi Frank, Please fix the Cells first.

Make sure all are formatted as Numbers and check that no value is preceded with a apostrophe ' .

---- On Sat, 24 Jun 2023 18:22:15 +0200  <fr...@sky.com> wrote ---

Thank Martin, havn't tried it yet. I seem to take one step forward and two back. Last time I tried to build this spreadsheet Im could do a multiplication like A1*A2 then grab a symbols in the bottom right corner of the cell and drag it down to get B1*B2 etc. Now I can't get the symbol.

Sorry to be pain in the proverbial

Frank

On Saturday, 24 June 2023 at 16:41:40 BST, Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com> wrote:

=SUM(A1:A14) Not =SUM(A1;A14)

---- On Sat, 24 Jun 2023 12:10:33 +0200  <ma...@sky.com> wrote ---

Thanks Martin, moving on I am now having trouble summimg a column of numbers (each being the result of a multiplication). In the formula bar Iwant to  type sum(A1;A8) but ~I am trying to chick on the cells A1 etc which puts the cell in the formula but when I hit ; the whole formula is replaced with the colon.

Frank

On Friday, 23 June 2023 at 18:02:56 BST, Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com> wrote:

Could it be that one ore both Cells is formatted as Text?

If you copy values from another source it could be copied as text which you could check in the formula bar, it shows then with a leading apostrophe e.g. ‘123

Simple way to check is to enter =VALUE(B1)*VALUE(C1)

---- On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 18:40:36 +0200 mailto:frank.ledbury@sky.com.INVALID<ma...@sky.com.INVALID> wrote ----

Re: Spreadsheet

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

the easiest way to fix this within a spreadsheet is to do a
search&replace with regular expressions option activated.

open the search&replace dialog using Ctrl+F and activate "regular
expression" within the "more options" part of that dialog.

search: .*

replace: &

This will remove all trailing single quotes from cells.

Kind regards, Joost

Re: Spreadsheet

Re: Spreadsheet

Posted by alannpearce <al...@talktalk.net.INVALID>.
Is the answer to "Copy Paste Special"?Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com.INVALID> Date: 23/06/2023  18:03  (GMT+00:00) To: Users <us...@openoffice.apache.org> Cc: frank.ledbury@sky.com Subject: Re: Spreadsheet                             Could it be that one ore both Cells is formatted as Text?If you copy values from another source it could be copied as text which you could check in the formula bar, it shows then with a leading apostrophe e.g. ‘123Simple way to check is to enter =VALUE(B1)*VALUE(C1)    ---- On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 18:40:36 +0200  frank.ledbury@sky.com.INVALID<fr...@sky.com.INVALID> wrote ---- Having problem multiplying the values in two cella.I have tried =B1*C1 for example but it doesn't workDisappointed as my attempt at division worked fine on a previous worksheet using for example=A1/B1Please help if you canFrank

Re: Spreadsheet

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com.INVALID>.