Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Katrin Tomanek <ka...@averbis.com> on 2012/02/15 10:13:07 UTC

Intermediate Release

Hi,

I've been asking before about the plans for the next opennlp release.
The answer I got was that it's not planned yet, when (and whether) to
release 1.5.3 (maybe, there will be a 1.6. as the next release).

My situation now is the following: I need a release by the end of next
month (since we are using opennlp in a commercial product where we are
having a deadline). I cannot use 1.5.2 (because of the EOS symbol
problems that are fixed in the trunk).

So, I am planning to build a transitional release in our
company-internal repository. I am just wondering what would be the best
time to do so....  I see that currently, there are still issues on the
POS Tagger factory. About other problems I am currently not aware...

Any hints about when to build such a transitional release which I could
consider "kind-of" stable?

Thanks,
Katrin

P.S.: let me know if there are currently any issues I could be working on...

Re: Intermediate Release

Posted by Katrin Tomanek <ka...@averbis.com>.
Hi Jörn,

> We usually need a bit longer to get a release out. Sorry. I would take
> the EOS patch and apply it to the 1.5.2 version. After you did that you
> should
> train and evaluate the Sentence Detector to ensure it is working ok.
>
> You can also take the trunk version, which is usually stable and in a good
> condition. Before you ship it, I would train and evaluate all the
> components you
> use, then it is very unlikely that you will hit a big bug afterwards.

I've chosen option 2 -- i.e., build an internal release from the current
trunk. No problems with any component (trained sentence splitter,
tokenizer, pos tagger, chunker -- all on internal data, with good results).

Thanks
Katrin

--
Dr. Katrin Tomanek
Averbis GmbH

Fon: +49 (0) 761 - 203 97696
Fax: +49 (0) 761 - 203 97694
E-Mail: katrin.tomanek@averbis.com

Geschäftsführer: Dr. med. Philipp Daumke, Dr. Kornél Markó
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Freiburg i. Br.
AG Freiburg i. Br., HRB 701080

Re: Intermediate Release

Posted by Joern Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.