Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Ken Grigg <ke...@amikanow.com> on 2001/07/28 06:37:34 UTC

Non-graceful shutdown a problem in 3.2.3?

I am running Tomcat 3.2.3 on NT/IIS with the Jikes compiler,
and noticed if the server is reset (i.e. power glitch) without
a normal shutdown, Tomcat comes back up non-operational. The
symptoms are that the JSPs can't be accessed until the class
files from the previous run are deleted from the work directory.

The log I get is:
2001-07-26 11:33:06 - Ctx( /admin ): JasperException: R( /admin +
/contextAdmin/contextAdmin.jsp + null) Unable to compile class for JSP

The beginning of the root cause trace is:
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ClassName.processClassData(ClassName.java:89)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ClassName.getClassName(ClassName.java:191)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspCompiler.getRealClassName(JspCompiler.java:136
)

I was concerned it might be something to do with Jikes, but
it works fine if I manually recompile the .java source
that Tomcat creates just before the above logs.

I can fix this with a startup script that deletes the class
files, but I'm hoping there's a proper fix somewhere.

I couldn't find any discussion on this problem in the archives
or the web, except for the possibly related discussion at:

http://www.javaclue.org/tomcat/patch32b6/letspatch.html#step5

I was surprised to see that this patch (against 3.2.1) hadn't
been applied to 3.2.3, but it didn't work for me anyway.

Does any have any ideas?

	...Ken.
---
Ken Grigg