Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@hyperreal.com> on 1995/12/04 20:49:11 UTC

~user notation stopped working (fwd)

Wasn't this discussed earlier?

I'll tell him to move to 1.0 and to expect a reply if there's
an explanation or fix...

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Wasn't this discussed earlier?

I believe so, yes...

> I'll tell him to move to 1.0 and to expect a reply if there's
> an explanation or fix...
*snip*

> > I just upgraded from NCSA 1.3 to Apache 0.8.14, and now "~user/" is no longer
> > working.  I have the following Alias commands in my srm.conf file, and the
> > /users/user notation works, but ~user doesn't:
> >
> > Alias /~ /home/web/
> > Alias /users/ /home/web/
> >
> > This is on my home system at http://www.rdrop.com/

Yes, people like the /~ thing, but it isn't consistent with the way
Aliases work in Apache. One note is that the new mod_userdir I'm working
on will be able to use "UserDir /home/web" to do what this person is
trying to do above.

Note that "Alias /~ /home/web" has a possible security problem - going to
"/~/" will give you a listing of all the directories in /home/web. This
is not usually something you want.

Also, is it yet time where we can submit feature enhancements for Apache?
I've a couple sitting here, waiting...

--/ Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> /--------/ Lefler on IRC