Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Erik Faye-Lund <ku...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/24 15:12:04 UTC

assert triggered in update_editor.c

Hi, I recently upgraded my TortoiseSVN installation to 1.7-beta2, and
after upgrading the repository info for one of my checkouts, I tried
an update.

After a long time (I haven't updated that repo for quite some time), I
got a dialog-box with the following text:

---8<---

Subversion reported the following:

In file
 'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7-beta2\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\update_editor.c'
 line 1582: assertion failed (action == svn_wc_conflict_action_edit || action
 == svn_wc_conflict_action_delete || action == svn_wc_conflict_action_replace)
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
---8<---

I don't know the code-base, but my knee-jerk instinct was that I did
have local modifications in some of the files; luckily these were pure
throw-away things. So after a clean-up and revert I updated again, and
everything seems to be in order again.

I did a quick search on some of the words in the assert, but didn't
find anything. Anyway, if this is an already known and fixed issue,
please disregard this mail ;)

Re: assert triggered in update_editor.c

Posted by Erik Faye-Lund <ku...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the late reply. I've upgraded to TortoiseSVN 1.7 RC1, and
the problem persists (not that I had a reason to expect otherwise).

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:51:33AM +0200, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:

>> > This is definitely something related to tree conflicts.
>> > You must have had a locally edited, deleted, or replaced node.
>> > The incoming change was something other than an edit, delete,
>> > or replace.
>>
>> But shouldn't that have been solved by a revert in that case? Because
>> it still triggers when I revert and re-update here...
>
> The assertion means that the client thinks the server is sending
> nonsense.  This might be a bug where the client makes an invalid
> assumption about compatibility of the local working copy state with
> incoming changes.
>
> Does it also happen in a separate, fresh checkout of the revision
> the containing directory of this file (or the file itself) is at?

Nope. So perhaps something went wrong when I converted the
working-copy info? I did have local modifications when I did the
conversion, could this be related?

> Does it also happen with the command line client (if you have one
> available)?

Yes, it does.

D:\Path-to-project>svn --version
svn, version 1.7.0-dev (under development)
   compiled Sep  1 2011, 21:13:11

D:\Path-to-project>svn up
Updating '.':
svn: E235000: In file 'D:\Development\SVN\TortoiseSVN\ext\subversion\subversion\
libsvn_wc\update_editor.c' line 1582: assertion failed (action == svn_wc_conflic
t_action_edit || action == svn_wc_conflict_action_delete || action == svn_wc_con
flict_action_replace)

>> > If you can still manage to produce a reproduction recipe based on this
>> > information please share it!  Thanks.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the repo is proprietary, and I don't know how I can
>> re-create the issue outside of my corporate setup...
>
> If you can share the wc.db file from your working copy
> privately you can send it to me off-list.
>
> There is no file content in wc.db, only path names and svn: properties.
> I won't share any of the data with anyone.

Sure, I'll do that in a sec.

Re: assert triggered in update_editor.c

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Stefan Sperling wrote on Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 18:02:10 +0200:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:51:33AM +0200, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:

> > > This is definitely something related to tree conflicts.
> > > You must have had a locally edited, deleted, or replaced node.
> > > The incoming change was something other than an edit, delete,
> > > or replace.
> >
> > But shouldn't that have been solved by a revert in that case? Because
> > it still triggers when I revert and re-update here...
>
> The assertion means that the client thinks the server is sending
> nonsense.

Is that so?  The client isn't supposed to assert on bad server behaviour.

Re: assert triggered in update_editor.c

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Erik Faye-Lund <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Erik Faye-Lund <ku...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Erik Faye-Lund <ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I recently upgraded my TortoiseSVN installation to 1.7-beta2, and
> after upgrading the repository info for one of my checkouts, I tried
> an update.
>
> After a long time (I haven't updated that repo for quite some time), I
> got a dialog-box with the following text:
>
> ---8<---
>
> Subversion reported the following:
>
> In file
>  'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7-beta2\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\update_editor.c'
>  line 1582: assertion failed (action == svn_wc_conflict_action_edit || action
>  == svn_wc_conflict_action_delete || action == svn_wc_conflict_action_replace)
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
> ---8<---
>
> I don't know the code-base, but my knee-jerk instinct was that I did
> have local modifications in some of the files; luckily these were pure
> throw-away things. So after a clean-up and revert I updated again, and
> everything seems to be in order again.

Actually, strike that last part: I didn't let the update run to
completion, and disregarded the length time to server-load. But it
wasn't I had gotten the same dialog pop-up, but it got hidden by
another window. So my local changes does not seem to have been the
culprit.

Re: assert triggered in update_editor.c

Posted by vinupatel30 <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I am trying to commit git repository see this

in last reply you say that in 1.7.2 it's solve but i got this is 1.8.7.
what is wrong?
can you suggest me .

Subversion reported the following
(you can copy the content of this dialog
to the clipboard using Ctrl-C):

In file

'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.8.7\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\update_editor.c'
 line 1550: assertion failed (action == svn_wc_conflict_action_delete)

Re: assert triggered in update_editor.c

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
Ivo Schenk <iv...@delphin.de> writes:

> Erik Faye-Lund <kusmabite <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> In file
>>
> 'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7-beta2\ext\...
>>  line 1582: ...
>> ---------------------------
>

> Same with SVN 1.7.1 (Tortoise 1.7.1 or Subclipse 1.8.0)
>

> Updating '.':
> svn: E235000: In file
> 'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7.1\ext\subversion\
> subversion\libsvn_wc\update_editor.c'
>
> line 1582:
> assertion failed (action == svn_wc_conflict_action_edit ||
> action == svn_wc_conflict_action_delete || action ==
> svn_wc_conflict_action_replace)
>

> This assert can be triggered triggered, when in a directory
> one file is deleted,
> one file is added
> and a SymLink changes:

Fixed in 1.7.2:

r1203778 | hwright | 2011-11-18 18:12:30 +0000 (Fri, 18 Nov 2011) | 14 lines

Merge r1186944, r1186981, r1186983, r1187676 from trunk:

 * r1186944, r1186981, r1186983, r1187676
   Fix an assertion failure when a symlink is updated.

--
Philip

Re: assert triggered in update_editor.c

Posted by Ivo Schenk <iv...@delphin.de>.
Erik Faye-Lund <kusmabite <at> gmail.com> writes:

> In file

'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7-beta2\ext\...
>  line 1582: ...
> ---------------------------

Same with SVN 1.7.1 (Tortoise 1.7.1 or Subclipse 1.8.0)

Updating '.':
svn: E235000: In file
'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7.1\ext\subversion\
subversion\libsvn_wc\update_editor.c'

line 1582:
assertion failed (action == svn_wc_conflict_action_edit ||
action == svn_wc_conflict_action_delete || action ==
svn_wc_conflict_action_replace)

This assert can be triggered triggered, when in a directory
one file is deleted,
one file is added
and a SymLink changes:

before:

libXXX.so.1.2.3
libXXX.so -> Symlink to libXXX.so.1.2.3

after:

libXXX.so.5.6.7
libXXX.so -> Symlink to libXXX.so.5.6.7

That changeset was commited with a SVN 1.6.17 client and can also be
updated with that version, but V1.7.x clients assert there.

Hope that helps,

Ivo