Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Tony Opatha <to...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/26 07:57:24 UTC

Re: WSDL with attachments

I agree SOAP with (MIME) Attachment is probably more interoperable than DIME.

However, keep in mind that WS-I BP 1.1 has a SOAP Attachment Profile 1.0
finalized since last year.

I believe currently WS-BP 1.1 is being supported by some commercial SOAP vendors with SOAP Attachment Profile 1.0.

However, AXIS does not support WS-BP 1.1 nor does it support SOAP
Attachment Profile; this support will be available in AXIS 2.0.

On the other hand, in gSOAP there seem to be some support for WS-BP 1.1.

I think it was a mistake for AXIS 1.2 not to have support for WS BP 1.1.

AXIS 2 may be months (or who knows may be more than a year) from being released as final release, and having such support AXIS 1.x would have
been a great opportunity towards interoperable web services.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Tony,

PLEASE open a bug report ("new feature") for things you need from
Axis. Whether it is 1.X or 2.X.

thanks,
dims

Re: WSDL with attachments

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Ah.. but that would require a significant update to XML Signature.
Would you like to call NIST about it or should I? <grin>

Anne

Re: WSDL with attachments

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Re: WSDL with attachments

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: WSDL with attachments

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Re: WSDL with attachments

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: WSDL with attachments

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Re: WSDL with attachments

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Just to clarify:

WS-I Attachment Profile 1.0 describes how to send attachments with
SOAP 1.1 messages  based on the SOAP with Attachments (SwA)
specification using MIME packaging. WS-I endorsed SwA because it is
more broadly implemented than any other attachment mechanism. Keep in
mind that SwA is not a "standard". It has not been ratified by a
standards group. The specification also does not define a WSDL
extension, therefore there was no specification for how to define
attachments in WSDL until WS-I defined the profile. Adoption of the
WS-I Attachments profile has been somewhat slow.

Unfortunately, Microsoft does not and will not support SwA, therefore
Microsoft does not and will not support the WS-I Attachment Profile
1.0. (SwA has some inherent security vulnerabilities, so I understand
Microsoft's position on this point.) Microsoft WSE 2.0 supports
attachments in SOAP 1.1 using WS-Attachments and DIME packaging.
(WS-attachments is also not a "standard".) WSE 3.0 supports SOAP 1.1
attachments using WS-Attachments/DIME and SOAP 1.2 attachments using
MTOM/MIME.

Unlike SwA and WS-Attachments, MTOM is a standard -- it is a W3C
Recommendation. But MTOM is specified to work with SOAP 1.2. That
kinda leaves us at an impasse for SOAP 1.1 attachments. As I said at
the beginning of this thread, my recommendation is "don't use
attachments".

Anne

Re: WSDL with attachments

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.