Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Martin Minka <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/19 18:35:49 UTC

Example of DocBook processing in Forrest

Could somebody be so kind and provide me with working example of Forrest
project where DocBook files are correctly processed ?

I read the text about DocBook in FAQ, but I am not able to get this working.

I believe that one working example would be great help for the Forrest
community.

Sincerely,
Martin

Re: Example of DocBook processing in Forrest

Posted by Nigel hardy <nw...@aber.ac.uk>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Nigel hardy wrote:
>>   3. The root of the directory system is specified by a value in
>>      forrest.properties (convenient) but this has to created by an
>>      entry in main/webapp/WEB-INF/xconf/forrest-core.xconf (less
>>      convenient when forrest is upgraded).
> Forrest 0.8-dev has a new config system which removes this
> restriction. We can make your plugin require 0.8-dev and use this new
> system.
I have been running it under 0.8 for some time, but I did not know about
that new facility.
> Please attach the code to a new issue in Jira - thanks for your
> assistance.
Done. It is FOR-908.

Nigel

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%lt%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Nigel Hardy     Tel: +44 1970 622 434.   http://users.aber.ac.uk/nwh/

Re: Example of DocBook processing in Forrest

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Nigel hardy wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Martin Minka wrote:
>>

>>> Could somebody be so kind and provide me with working example of Forrest
>>> project where DocBook files are correctly processed ?
>>>

> Some time ago the list helped me develop a plugin which allows directory
> browsing (from a specified root) which gives html and pdf links to files
> which are likely to be docbook. It was suggested at the tim ethat I make
> it available. We are now using this successfully in my group.
>
> I am happy to make the code available but:
>
>   1. It's only at a prototype stage - but I am unlikely to find more
>      time to spend on it and I guess it could do with input from people
>      who are more aware of forrest style and approach.

We have a special type of plugin to accommodate this kind of code. Any
contribution is welcome, regardless of how complete you feel it is,
there are always others who can enhance it.

>   3. The root of the directory system is specified by a value in
>      forrest.properties (convenient) but this has to created by an
>      entry in main/webapp/WEB-INF/xconf/forrest-core.xconf (less
>      convenient when forrest is upgraded).

Forrest 0.8-dev has a new config system which removes this restriction.
We can make your plugin require 0.8-dev and use this new system.

>   4. Other things should be parameterised (like which other files than
>      docbook it should give access to).

Again the new config system will probably help here.

> As I say, it's a plugin. It's not up to distribution standard. If
> anybody wants to take it forward, I'll make the code available to them.

Please attach the code to a new issue in Jira - thanks for your assistance.

Ross

RE: Example of DocBook processing in Forrest

Posted by Martin Minka <ma...@gmail.com>.
I agree, will switch to 0.8-dev today.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Martin Minka wrote:
> Nigel,
> if it is plugin and needs only the change in
> main/webapp/WEB-INF/xconf/forrest-core.xconf I would like to try to get it
> running in my Forrest.
> Could you provide me with the code ?

May I suggest you switch to 0.8-dev and work with the new config system
(see my reply to Nigel).

0.8 is very stable and is safe to use in a production environment. The
benefits to you and the community are that this new plugin can be
developed to work "out-of-the-box".

Ross

RE: Example of DocBook processing in Forrest

>> Could somebody be so kind and provide me with working example of
>> Forrest project where DocBook files are correctly processed ?

Some time ago the list helped me develop a plugin which allows directory
browsing (from a specified root) which gives html and pdf links to files
which are likely to be docbook. It was suggested at the tim ethat I make it
available. We are now using this successfully in my group.

I am happy to make the code available but:

   1. It's only at a prototype stage - but I am unlikely to find more
      time to spend on it and I guess it could do with input from people
      who are more aware of forrest style and approach.
   2. It uses domestically modified docbook style sheets (though those
      could easily be replaced by standard ones)
   3. The root of the directory system is specified by a value in
      forrest.properties (convenient) but this has to created by an
      entry in main/webapp/WEB-INF/xconf/forrest-core.xconf (less
      convenient when forrest is upgraded).
   4. Other things should be parameterised (like which other files than
      docbook it should give access to).

I am running it both as a service (under tomcat) and with jetty (for
document development).

As I say, it's a plugin. It's not up to distribution standard. If anybody
wants to take it forward, I'll make the code available to them.

Nigel Hardy

Posted by Nigel hardy <nw...@aber.ac.uk>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Martin Minka wrote:
> Could somebody be so kind and provide me with working example of Forrest
> project where DocBook files are correctly processed ?
>
> I read the text about DocBook in FAQ, but I am not able to get this working.

http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#docbook

These examples do work. You would need to provide more
info about what you have done.

> I believe that one working example would be great help for the Forrest
> community.

We cannot provide a full "working example" in a seed site
because we do not include the "DocBook XSL" stylesheets
with Forrest.

-David

Re: Example of DocBook processing in Forrest

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Martin Minka wrote:
> Could somebody be so kind and provide me with working example of Forrest
> project where DocBook files are correctly processed ?
>
> I read the text about DocBook in FAQ, but I am not able to get this
> working.
>
> I believe that one working example would be great help for the Forrest
> community.

See the simplifiedDocbook plugin, it has samples.

Ross