Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Patrick Waugh <pt...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/15 07:41:13 UTC

external tasks configuration question

In the ANT manual: http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html#optionalTasks

It says:

The external libraries required by each of the optional tasks is
detailed in the Library Dependencies section. These external libraries
must be added to Ant's classpath, in any of the following ways:

      *<snip>*

      In ${user.home}/.ant/lib (as of Ant 1.6). This allows different
users to add new libraries to Ant. All JAR files added to this
directory are available to command-line Ant.

*<snip>*

Why does this ONLY work for command-line ANT, and not for say double
clicking a task in the ANT-View in Eclipse???

Patrick

AW: external tasks configuration question

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
You should ask that on the IDE list.
Ant starts in that form:
  1. run the launcher batch file (ant|ant.bat|ant.sh)
  2. that runs the Ant launcher (ant-launcher.jar) with a minimal environment (java, classpath)
  3. that launcher adds the given classpath extensions (-lib, lib-directories) to a new ClassLoader
  4. the launcher starts the AntMain implementing class (default is Main)
  5. AntMain parses other parameters, initializes the project, parses the buildfile and creates an Executor
  6. the Executor runs the build

External Ant runners can start Ant as they want. Maybe directly the Main-class. Then they provide the environment for themself. In Eclipse you can configure that environent via "External tools configuration".

Jan

Posted by Patrick Waugh <pt...@gmail.com>.
Yes, but it is easy enough to do. Actually, I don't mind using the
command prompt because I already do for my DVCS, but I want to
understand both.

On 11/15/08, James Abley <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eclipse uses a different mechanism and needs to be explicitly configured?
>
> Cheers,
>
> James
>
> On 15 Nov 2008, 6:41 AM, "Patrick Waugh" <pt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In the ANT manual: http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html#optionalTasks
>
> It says:
>
> The external libraries required by each of the optional tasks is
> detailed in the Library Dependencies section. These external libraries
> must be added to Ant's classpath, in any of the following ways:
>
>      *<snip>*
>
>      In ${user.home}/.ant/lib (as of Ant 1.6). This allows different
> users to add new libraries to Ant. All JAR files added to this
> directory are available to command-line Ant.
>
> *<snip>*
>
> Why does this ONLY work for command-line ANT, and not for say double
> clicking a task in the ANT-View in Eclipse???
>
> Patrick

Sent from my mobile device

Re: external tasks configuration question