Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2019/05/16 02:45:09 UTC

Build on Windows

"Install Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5. SP1
(recommended by Microsoft. Note: later versions of the Windows SDK will
not work. AOO can not be built with MSVC 2010 or 2012 - MSVC 2008 is
needed and is found in the Windows 7 SDK)"

Both the links given for installing the software get "download no longer
available".

Since I have built many times on the machine in question that download
cannot be necessary. Since the instructions do not specify the files, it
is difficult to search for them.

Re: Build on Windows

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

On 5/15/2019 8:06 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 4:45 AM Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> "Install Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5. SP1
>> (recommended by Microsoft. Note: later versions of the Windows SDK will
>> not work. AOO can not be built with MSVC 2010 or 2012 - MSVC 2008 is
>> needed and is found in the Windows 7 SDK)"
>>
>> Both the links given for installing the software get "download no longer
>> available".
>>
>> Since I have built many times on the machine in question that download
>> cannot be necessary. Since the instructions do not specify the files, it
>> is difficult to search for them.
>>

> That isn't good at all.
>
> My 13 March 2018 email entitled "First steps in building with MSVC 14 /
> Visual Studio 2015" described some of the work involved in using newer MSVC
> versions to build AOO. That "Windows Kit" needs better integration into the
> build and packaging, but I think it will limit us to Windows 7 and later
> (the irony being that the open-source mingw[-w64] toolchain, which only
> links to the primordial MSVCRT.DLL, could let us support even Windows 9x).
>
> Hopefully we can also simplify the current situation with the many MSVCR*
> versions we use in the process.
>
> Get started and I'll catch up in a few weeks when I am more free?
>
> Damjan

Do you have any idea what changed? I have built many, many times on that
computer, but it looks as though I need to specify more paths to keep
configure happy. I have old versions of Visual Studio.

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: Build on Windows

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 17.05.19 um 00:27 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:

> On 5/16/2019 3:23 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Patricia,

>>> I did find old SDK files I already had, probably what I was using
>>> before. Unfortunately, I am now getting
>>
>> As I already wrote on another list, the SDK is still available via MSDN
>> (at least it was the last time I looked for it).
>>
>> But I can also give you access to the installation file, if you like?
>
> Could you check whether your MSDN location still works, and if so
> update the step-by-step to point there? If it does not work then, yes,
> please send me the files.

A simple MSDN account is needed, the files are available for free.
Andrea found them when the situation was discussed here some month ago.
I will try to locate them again.

The Wiki should definitely be updated, but meanwhile I will send you a
Dropbox link.

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: Build on Windows